Hi from central Oregon

New to the Forum? Come in and say hello. Get to know the other members.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

Hi from central Oregon

Post by Newbie » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:55 am

My husband and I took our maiden voyages in our respective AE kayaks this week with mixed success. I did well in my 1012 but we could use some advice to help my husband with his 1009 Expedition. He is 6'3" and the seat back is too short for him. He couldn't sit up straight at all which was uncomfortable and tiring. This also made him slide down a bit to where he was sittting in the middle which then tipped the bow up too far. Any suggestions?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:41 am

Sounds like he was leaning back. He should be pushing his bottom into the base of the seat where the back and base meet. A lot of people lean back which is improper technique. He should be utilizing the foot brace to push off of.
I am 6'2" and have no issues

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:34 am

Could you maybe show some pictures of your Husband's setup...how he's sitting in the kayak?

The seat for this model is a high-back, so it should not be coming up short unless its sliding under him as he gets in. Also, my dad is 6'6" and has paddled this model with no issues, so it would be helpful to see the set-up.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:11 pm

Aha! Your husband is not the only kayaker in any boat to have this kind of uncomfortable ride. The problem could be not so much the seat as his posture.
North Americans are often accustomed to a slouching posture in seats, leaning back with legs sprawled loosely, and their weight on the tailbone or far back on the rump. For kayaking, one of the good postures (there is no single perfect posture!) is to sit forward on his ischium bones with the knees elevated a little and the body tipped a little forward at the hips.
Arrange the seat so the back is tilted a little forward. Even at 6'3" he'll need the foot brace. With his feet pressing a little against the brace in its farthest position, his knees will be a little bent. His rump should be tucked into the seat with the lumbar support inflated about 3/4 full. There should be room between the back of the seat and the back of the cockpit.
Now, look at him from the side and ask him to tip his body forward at the hips. Is he bending at the waist instead? Ideally you should see that his spine is pretty straight from tailbone to neck. You might want to shorten the straps at the side of his seat.
The seat doesn't support us like a kitchen chair. It's more like a rockclimbing harness, if that makes sense :) The seat should feel like he is supported at the back of the pelvis and around his kidneys. He can let a little air out of the lumbar support, or blow it up to full. That's why it has a long hose, so it's easy for him to add or let out the air. During his time on the water, he can add or let out air and see how that feels.
Behind his seat is a good place to store gear so his seat does not slide back. Some paddlers put a jacket or piece of foam the size of a rolling pin under their thighs or the front of the seat, to lift their knees. Others glue velcro to the bottom of the seat and to the floor, so the seat won't slide.
What kind of life jacket is he wearing? If it is long and low it might be pressing down on the seat back and riding up on his shoulders. My husband and I used to wear a cheap, old PFD that made it hard to sit comfortably. Buying a PFD in the new styles worked well for both of us. I'm saving up for a high-back touring PFD for sea kayaking.
I hope this long-winded bunch of suggestions gives you ideas for improving your husband's comfort.