Hello from new member

New to the Forum? Come in and say hello. Get to know the other members.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

terrib972

Hello from new member

Post by terrib972 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:58 am

Hello everyone,

I am a new kayaker, having only been on the water for my beginner lessons. I am strongly considering the Expedition. I am a wildlife photographer and am interested in getting places on the water that I can't reach on land. Although, it will be a while before I'm comfortable taking my gear. I spend most of my time in Texas and Colorado but might be anywhere.

I've chosen the Expedition because I've been told it is relatively stable for a sit-in kayak and it seems to have enough room for my gear. I'd mostly be traveling still waters of lakes and calm rivers and possibly the Gulf although only in protected waters. No whitewater or seagoing plans.

I'm leaning toward the inflatable because I am a 58 yo woman on my own so I felt it would be easier to haul. Also considered is that I have 2 different vehicles that I'm likely to use - a Toyota Tacoma truck when I'm pulling my bumper pull camper and a Toyota FJ when not camping. And if I do go with a couple of friends, I could throw the inflatable into their trunk or backseat since their hauling setup is for 1 and we could ride together.

I'll probably have questions as I get closer to a decision which I'll post in the appropriate forum but that's pretty much there is to tell about me and kayaks!

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:49 pm

I love using my Expedition. It's very stable, which I need because since my hearing loss I have no real sense of balance. It's bigger than I need, so on days when I want a relaxed simple outing I use my Lagoon instead. The forum has lots of my posts on both these models.