Hello from Italy

New to the Forum? Come in and say hello. Get to know the other members.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

Babel24i

Hello from Italy

Post by Babel24i » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi to everybody, I am happy to be part of this community as
I am seeking advice to make the right choice for. an inflatable. I have moved years ago from Milan to the shores of Lake Maggiore where many people paddle Olympic kayaks, but I was already too old to begin with racing boats so somebody put me on an old sea kayak and it worked fine. Now I am close to retire and plan to spend more time traveling to visit places I could not see before, but I cannot imagine doing without a kayak. I have recently bought a Pakboats XT 17 cause my wife was asking for a double seated, a nice and reliable boat indeed, but too complicated for us. I think I will spend sometime with you to make up my mind before I decide what is the best choice. I am really impressed by the Elite right now cause I think we should forget about doubles and look for light and manouvrable boats. We’ll see. In the meantime I’ll be grateful to anybody’s advice.
Cheers from Lake Maggiore. :lol:

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:55 pm

You might like a pair of AdvancedFrame Sport kayaks. I like how these (and other models) are small enough to put two of them in the back of a car!

Babel24i

AE Sport

Post by Babel24i » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:58 am

Thanks for your suggestion; indeed I am considering also the AE Ultralite because of the weight which is also important for us. I am not finding much feedback on this model however. Before turning to a fully inflatable short kayak I'd like to read more from users. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell there are none in my country yet, not to mention the chances to try one. I'll welcome any further suggestion.

Best.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:53 am

All models of this brand of inflatable kayak are well-made and last for a good long time. I have an older version of the Lagoon that was seven years old when I got a new one. The old one still works just fine after being inflated about 700 times, and is now my spare for when a friend joins me.

The AdvancedFrame Ultralight is a good choice when you want a very light boat for carrying, at about 18 pounds. It's a boat for relaxing recreational paddling. Among my friends, the AdvancedFrame kayaks work best for people up to 5'11" and under 210 pounds.
The Expedition is a better choice when you are a bigger/taller person who has no problem with a 42 pound boat. I am only 5'1" and stocky, but I LOVE my Expedition. I find mine very good for camping as it can handle the weight of my gear packed inside the boat. I take mine on the bus with the kayak bag strapped to a luggage roller. My tall friends with big feet like the Expedition, too.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Re: AE Sport

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:53 am

Babel24i wrote:Thanks for your suggestion; indeed I am considering also the AE Ultralite because of the weight which is also important for us. I am not finding much feedback on this model however. Before turning to a fully inflatable short kayak I'd like to read more from users. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell there are none in my country yet, not to mention the chances to try one. I'll welcome any further suggestion.

Best.

The AE3022-G AdvancedFrame Ultralite kayak is a new model for 2018. It is only just hitting the market in the US. You won't find much feedback on it for at least 4 months.
It is based on the AE1012-R Advanced Frame so performance wise, it will be close to identical. Biggest difference is the weight.

Babel24i

Post by Babel24i » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 am

I still have not made up my mind: the Sport would be our perfect choice cause it is lightweight, can be fitted with a backbone and should perform more or less like the Advancedframe though I am not sure about that. Why it is not recommended for coastal paddling? Is it because being lightweight is unreliable in windy conditions? Less rugged than the A1012? Cannot be paddled with a spry skirt?
Thanks.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:24 am

Babel24i wrote: Why it is not recommended for coastal paddling? Is it because being lightweight is unreliable in windy conditions? Less rugged than the A1012? Cannot be paddled with a spry skirt?
Thanks.
1. It has one chamber design whereas the AE1012-R is a two chamber design. One chamber is not recommended for coastal paddling in case something was to happen.
2. Cannot be fitted with sprayskirt to help prevent water from splashing into cockpit in rough conditions.
3. Ruggedness is the same as the AE1012-R so that is not a reason.