Did I see?

As new AE stuff is set to come out, we will keep you updated. Time to get EXCITED!

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson, rlpugh1

ATPringles

Did I see?

Post by ATPringles » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Is AE coming out with a super light inflatable kayak (4 lbs) for backpacking? I think i saw one on a hiking page or somewhere. Just curious.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:46 am

That would be interesting. I was looking at the Alpacka rafts as a possibility for getting into places that I could only walk into. My AdvancedFrame is fine for carrying short distances, but I wouldn't want to be walking kilometers with it.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:14 am

Available Late January, early February.
AE3021 Packlite Kayak
http://50campfires.com/advanced-element ... ite-kayak/

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:05 am

Excellent Jeremy. Any estimate on cost? Also, it's only 4lbs, and packs pretty small, but what about the pump that will be needed to carry with it? Will there be a special, smaller pump for it, or would it be easy enough to blow it up by mouth? I'm assuming that the pressure required will be around the same as most of the other kayaks.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:09 am

Retail $300
We are working on a couple of pump solutions. Not sure whether it will come with the pump (pretty sure it will) or not.
Either a small bellows foot pump or an air bag that you fill with air then squeeze into the valve.
Pressure will be the same as the other kayaks so around 2 psi for the main chambers and 1 psi for the floor.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Sounds like a reasonable price. Ya, the airbag inflation is what other ultra-lite pack rafts use. It is a very light and compact pump, but it looks a bit on the awkward side to me. Besides, with that kind of pump, I'd probably be filling the tubes with tons of mosquitoes. I'd rather see a small pump, something along the lines of these;

Also, if you do make a smaller pump, I'm sure that people will buy it as an emergency pack pump for the larger kayaks. It's hard to carry a full sized pump if you're doing overnight trips.

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:02 pm

Drats. I'm likely to have to buy one. Are they durable? I don't have an alpaca, but I got a flytepacker raft. It is light and fits in my pack, but the thing doesn't like to be steered. This weights about the same and has a pointy end, so I hope that helps with steering! It looks fun. Thanks for the info.

Oh, the Flytepacker uses the airbag pump to blow up. It's pretty ingenious. I was surprised at how well it worked.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:12 am

I hear ya AT. This newcomer will surely be on my shopping list too. As far as how durable it is, well, if it follows the lead of other AE offerings, then I would suspect that it is quite durable. Of course, only putting it to the test will tell, but I'm optimistic.
I was looking at the Alpacka and the Flytepacker too, and I also had concerns about how the shape of the hull might affect paddling. I much prefer the AE design, and price.
It's nice to hear from someone who has used that air bag inflation system, but I would still prefer a more traditional pump, something like the first picture I posted above, which is a double action pump.

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:05 pm

I had started using a kayak paddle with my flytepacker, but mostly spun like a little teacup. It was almost like an amusement park ride. I didn't want to carry the "heavy" kayak paddle, so when I found a really cheap plastic toy paddle, like for a kids kayak in a swimming pool, I got tried using one of those. Much lighter. Same teacup experience. Some website had a guy who made "paddles" by flattening a 1/2 gallon orange juice container, using the handle on the jug as the handle for the paddle. That guy was a fisherman, who would hike up to alpine lakes and then put in to go fishing. He didn't want to make miles, he wanted to be able to launch and maneuver and then land. I thought about those orange juice jugs, but then I heard about swim gloves, with webbing between the fingers. They're supposed to help competitive swimmers get more powerful strokes. I got a pair of those, figuring they are really light, and would let me provide direction to the boat's movement. I haven't tried them yet, but think they may be really good for what I want to do, which is go backpacking and find a beautiful backcountry lake or pond, and float in my boat. That's a wonderful thing to do. Sigh.

Given a choice, I'd rather have a kayak than a raft. And being able to have directional control would be awesome!

Ok, now I really, really want one. I wish it were summer and I could go outside and play...

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Oh yes, I forgot about the air bag inflator. It was quite inexpensive, so I'd recommend you get one while you're already paying the postage. I'm thinking it was about three dollars, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I don't remember the name of it, but YouTube had a couple of videos that showed it. They contend that it's just as fast as blowing up the little raft, but you don't end up pass-out dizzy. :-) I never got all that fast with it, but it did work and it was an interesting product.

I love the idea of this kayak for backpacking and putting in my truck camper just in case I happen on an irresistible body of water. That happens soooooo often, and I can't resist.

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Hey NaturalPath, are you the individual from Elliot Lake? I'm thinking this would be cool to use at Lake Superior Provincial Park, what with the nice mix of hiking trails and lakes.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Hey AT, you sound a lot like me, both in your desire to get into remote locations, and the fact that you're not afraid to try unorthodox methods to find solutions to problems.

I'm thinking the webbed glove solution probably wouldn't work for me, although it is a worthy thought. After spinning around like a tea cup for an hour or so, I'd be willing to try anything I guess.

I have seen a video with someone using the air bag inflator, and I get how it might be a good solution for smaller inflatables, I just can't get onboard with the idea for some reason.

Yep, I'm in Elliot Lake, but Lake Superior Provincial Park is one of the few Provincial Parks that I've never been to. I stopped going to Provincial Parks a long time ago when I found that going into the wilderness on, what we call, Crown Land, which is the same as your BLM land, was much more enjoyable, and a lot less costly.

I'm with you AT, I gotta have it. :P

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:10 am

A four-pound kayak? Count me in!
I've taken my Dragonfly (older version of the Lagoon) everywhere I can carry it, or roll it on a luggage roller during longer walks. But a four-pound kayak that folds up this small has appeal, too.
The Packlite looks much like a Firefly without the tough outer hull, or my old Dragonfly without its tough outer hull (or the tough tube covers of the Lagoon). That's not a bad idea at all, to have just the inflated part where weight is the biggest concern. I think that as a savvy paddler, I'd be able to tell which paddling places required a tough, puncture-resistant outer hull.
Kudos to Advanced Elements for this new kayak model! I can't wait.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:35 pm

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:02 am

So I was really excited! There's a link that says "Buy now." Oh boy!

The link doens't takes me to a page entitled "Whoops!"

So, where will this little beauty be sold?

Pringles