Did I see?

As new AE stuff is set to come out, we will keep you updated. Time to get EXCITED!

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson, rlpugh1

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:45 pm

I don't know about you AT, but I'll probably be buying mine at AirKayaks.com. That's where I bought my AdvancedFrame, and Holly Harris, who runs the site, is a great person to deal with. She did everything possible to make my purchase as smooth as it could be.

That's not to say that buying it directly from AE wouldn't be just as cool but, as far as I know, they are not shipping to Canada right now.

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:00 pm

I had seen it originally on the Fly weight designs page. I've bought from them before. I just noticed the link today, and clicked on it to see if it was on sale somewhere, and the link didn't work, so I thought I'd ask.

Pringles

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:10 am

The page is setup but the product won't be available for another three weeks. Check back mid February.

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:15 am

Well pooh. I'm not good at waiting.

I will if I have to, though.

Pringles

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:13 am

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:20 am

I would call first because they were only able to receive six that were air shipped. They could already be sold out.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:33 am

Thanks for the update Jeremy. I'm not going to buy mine until March anyways. Maybe AT wants to use it to slide down the snow hills :lol:

ATPringles

It's HERE!!!!!

Post by ATPringles » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:34 am

I got one! It's a really pretty red, and out of a fabric that seems durable, but more fragile than the standard AE kayak (as expected).

Ummm, JCOOLEY, I grabbed two air pumps that I have, that I'm pretty sure work with my regular AE kayaks (Snapdragon and, um, AF?), and I can't figure out how to get any of the regular size couplers to fit into the valve. I'm not an engineer, but usually I can figure out this kind of thing. *All* of the adaptors are too small. Any suggestions about what I'm doing wrong? Does it require a special adaptor? OH, and I don't have one of your pumps that have a PSI gauge... do they fit and are they light enough to carry into the backcountry (a pound or so)? Thanks for any advice.

Pringles

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:12 am

Pringles,

That is great that you picked up one. As far as the adaptor goes, the kayak should of come with one that twists into the valve and has a hose that comes off of it. NOt sure where you picked it up from but if you do not have the adaptor, let customer service know and he can send one out. info@advancedelements.com. We are currently working on a smaller lightweight pump but you could always use the AE2001 Bellows foot pump for now. You can add the inline valve adaptor to it AE4000. It has a gauge so you can get a reading. It takes the same PSI as the regular kayaks. 2 psi for main tube and 1 psi for the floor. If you want a smaller pump you could get a small bellows foot pump or a small hand pump such as one from Intex.

Jeremy

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:48 pm

I did find, in the repair kit, an adaptor that hooks to the boat's valve. The end that attaches to the pump's hose has a notch that doesn't match my pump. I ended up trying to pump and hold my hand tightly around the connection. It worked, but wasn't optimal. I'm interested in the small, light pump you were talking about. That's something that I think might limit the kinds of folks that would buy this. With the Alpaca and Flytepacker, you can use the instaflator, which, if it isn't the most efficient way to fill up a great big tube, is light. The boat is not an inappropriate weight, but if I have to carry a one and one half to two pound pump, it suddenly comes out of my backpack. I ll look at the pump that came with my West Marine boat. Maybe it has that notch. Thanks.

OH, and I love the color!

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Hey NaturalPath, This is way off topic, but if you are planning to be at the Sault Symphony concert in Elliott Lake this weekend (April 27th), stop by the trumpet section. It'd be neat to meet and chat.

Pringles

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:46 pm

JCOOLEY, the storage bag for my Packlite is stamped, on the inside, with "Coach". Any idea why?

Also, I have a few air pumps, but only the one that came with my West Marine AE boat has a notch in the end that holds the various sized input adapters. Is there a way to buy a couple of those tubes that have that slot, or to make a slot in the other pumps? I hope that's clear. Somebody who's handy probably would already know what to do... .

I tried my Packlite in the pool the other night (Rolling night at the pool!). It tracks nicely. I think it tracks a bit better than my whitewater kayak, though no where near as well as my sea kayak. I would expect it to not track as well as the sea kayak, but was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get it to go straight. I thought it would be a bit more like my whitewater boats. I'm excited about getting it outside to explore a couple of backcountry lakes.

Thanks.

Pringles

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Hey AT;

My AdvancedFrame kayak is also stamped 'Coach'. I believe that this is the person who inspected the kayak before shipping. I received my Packlite today, and I have inflated it. The adapter that came with the Packlite fit directly on to the hose I use for my AdvancedFrame kayak. I believe if you contact info@advancedelements.com they will sell you the hose with the proper fitting on the end, but the hose diameter of the pump(s) you have may not be the same. I have this problem too. The small Intex pump that I plan to use for the Packlite has a smaller diameter pump hose, and it also does not have the proper fitting on the end, so I'm going to have to make some adjustments to come up with a fix for that. I have some ideas, but I haven't actually done anything yet, so I'll wait until I actually have something that works before I say anything more.
As soon as the ice is off the lakes, I will also be taking the Packlite out on a trip to a remote lake. I will post a review on how well the Packlite performed after I do that initial trip with it.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Okay, so I've come up with a solution that works for me. I'll go through what I did step by step, with pictures.

First, I cut a 1" piece of ordinary garden hose;

Then, I cut the adapter provided with the Packlite, close to the pump side of the adapter, as shown;

Then I inserted the 1" piece of garden hose I cut into the end of the hose on the longer piece of the Packlite adapter. It will be glued in place when all is done;

This adapter will now fit onto the end of the Intex hose, by just pushing it on, and pulling it off. There will be no locking ears, as is the case with the original Packlite adapter, but the garden hose fits nice and snug when it's pushed on, so I don't see that as being a problem. The twist valves only use a push on adapter anyways, and the original Intex hose fitting does fit the twist valves, so no adjustment is needed there. I don't know if all the different sizes of Intex pumps have the same diameter hose, but this should work on them if they do.

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:46 pm

Ooooooo, I think I can do that! Thanks.

How do you like your packlite?

Pringles