Paddling Blisters

AE5005 UltraLite Pack Paddle, AE2024 Packlight Paddle, AE2015 Touring Paddle, AE2034 Attack Whitewater Paddle, AE2035 Carbon Fiber Paddle, AE2030 Axis 230 Paddle, AE2028 Twilight Travel Paddle, AE2051 Orbit Paddle

Moderator: JCOOLEY

pribeiro

Paddling Blisters

Post by pribeiro » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:20 am

Greetings.

I've been using my carbon paddle AE2035 for nearly 3 months, 1-2 times/week. When a paddle's new, it's normal that the hands suffer a bit, but my paddle is no longer new and my hands are still a complete mess every time I use it (pictures below).

I should stress I've been paddling for years using various paddles and I never had this experience before. I know that gloves can minimize the problem, but I'd rather tackle the root cause...

Has anyone experienced this? If affirmative, how did you solve your problem?

Thanks.
Pedro

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:28 am

Blisters are annoying! Are you still getting them?
I get smaller blisters on hot days when my hands are slipping on a dry paddle. That's after a winter wearing fingerless gloves, so maybe my skin is a little softer from being protected.
What sort of finish is on the shaft of your carbon paddle? Perhaps you could consult an expert in epoxy or fibreglassing. There's a local marine repair place in my hometown that I'd consult.
It looks as though your hands are slipping a little back and forth on the shaft of the paddle. Is the finish too slick? Would sanding the finish make it just barely rough enough that your skin didn't slip? That's the kind of question I'd ask the marine repair expert as I showed her my paddle.
If these blisters were on my heels in new hiking boots, I'd put moleskin on my heels, then wear two pair socks.

pribeiro

Post by pribeiro » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:27 am

Thanks, PJohanson.
Sadly, I keep getting those scary blisters every time I use my AE paddle. I am very frustrated and concerned since I'll do a multi-days kayak tour later this month and I'll use this paddle (it's the only one I have that fits my cargo luggage; and that's why I bought it!).
The finish isn't as smooth as my other paddle, but it's not rough to the point of causing this mess. I can't explain the reason for my blisters, but it's not because my hands slip.
Checking with an expert is a good suggestion, even though it'll be hard where I live. Thanks, anyway.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:49 am

Good luck with your paddle grip on your trip!
One of my paddle partners wears neoprene paddling gloves, and doesn't get blisters. Another wears thin gardening gloves with rubberized grips (much cheaper than the neoprene!), and doesn't get blisters. I've used medium-weight gardening gloves myself. Saw a photo of a paddler wearing the latex style gloves that are sold in boxes in drugstores. Lots of affordable alternatives to try!