paddle that feathers

AE5005 UltraLite Pack Paddle, AE2024 Packlight Paddle, AE2015 Touring Paddle, AE2034 Attack Whitewater Paddle, AE2035 Carbon Fiber Paddle, AE2030 Axis 230 Paddle, AE2028 Twilight Travel Paddle, AE2051 Orbit Paddle

Moderator: JCOOLEY

raw10128

paddle that feathers

Post by raw10128 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:22 am

I was wondering in what condition you wuld feather your paddle. My paddle has the ability to be re-poisitioned but when would u feather the paddle. under what types of water conditions. etc.

KayakJack

Re: paddle that feathers

Post by KayakJack » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:29 pm

I think it's just a matter of preference. Some do it to look more "cool" / "professional", some swear that it is less strain on the wrists since there is less twisting/natural hold of the wrists when paddling.

I switch up depending on my mood, although I find non feathered a whole lot easier on my wrists.

Dennis Stuhaug, who wrote the book: Kayaking Made Easy, part of the Falcon Guides - wrote not finding either feathered or non-feathered better or of an advantage than the other.

raw10128 wrote:I was wondering in what condition you wuld feather your paddle. My paddle has the ability to be re-poisitioned but when would u feather the paddle. under what types of water conditions. etc.

PJohanson

feathering

Post by PJohanson » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:19 pm

Mostly, paddles are feathered when the paddler is facing into the wind. It has to be a moderately brisk breeze to do much difference.
The idea is that the blade in the water is broad-side to the water, doing the work. The blade in the air is edge-on to the wind, offering less resistance.
The feel of a feathered paddle is different. Try it and see what you think. Some paddles have two holes, for straight paddling and for feathered so the right hand grips while the left one slips. Some paddles have three holes, to allow straight or left-hand or right-hand feathering. Just because you swing a baseball bat or golf club right-handed doesn't mean you'll prefer a right hand feather.
Feathering puts a little more wear and tear on the hand you grip with; it's not easier but it may mean less work when you're out in the wind. See how it feels for you.