Water in Paddle Shaft

AE5005 UltraLite Pack Paddle, AE2024 Packlight Paddle, AE2015 Touring Paddle, AE2034 Attack Whitewater Paddle, AE2035 Carbon Fiber Paddle, AE2030 Axis 230 Paddle, AE2028 Twilight Travel Paddle, AE2051 Orbit Paddle

Moderator: JCOOLEY

sedimentary

Water in Paddle Shaft

Post by sedimentary » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Is there any way to get water out of a paddle shaft?? How it got in there is beyond me, but I tried shaking the hell out it but nothing comes out!! :? It is a Werner Skagit, and it has never been submerged as far as I know. It is the half of the paddle which does not have the release button on it. Thanks in advance!!

PJohanson

water in paddle shaft

Post by PJohanson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:36 pm

Water in the paddle shaft? That'll add weight and it'll slosh around in an annoying way.
There's often a baffle inside the paddle shaft, so that the shaft won't fill up with sand and water. Sounds like your baffle has either got a hole or gotten knocked crooked. Sounds like it is letting water in but isn't in a position to let all the water back out.
Get a flashlight and have a look inside the shaft.
If there is a baffle, you should be able to see it. Is it crooked, or pierced?
Stand the halves of your paddle upright, open end down & blade up. Go have a cup of coffee or something. Come back later and see if any water has dripped out. If so, good. If not, use a mild cuss word.
At this point, you have a choice. For one of my paddles, I chose to get that baffle the heck out of there since I couldn't get the water out and then seal it. I made a long gaffe from a wire coat hanger, poked it through the tough plasticized paper of the baffe, and was actually able to snake out the torn baffle. I would have settled for tearing the baffle to shreds even if I couldn't get the bits out. At least water would run out.
While a store-bought paddle will usually float when dropped, if you've broken the baffle accidentally or on purpose or removed it, the shaft WILL fill with water if dropped and is more likely to sink. I use a paddle tether (3 or 4 metres/yards of bright, cheap deck line from the paddle store). If you don't want to use a paddle tether, your need for a spare paddle is increased.

sedimentary

Post by sedimentary » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Thanks for the tips.... I contacted Werner and since it is only 3 months old it is still under warranty (1 year), so they will either repair or replace I guess.

KayakJack

Re: water in paddle shaft

Post by KayakJack » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:53 am

You can also shove styrofoam peanuts (the ones that come in shipping containers) or some other type of waterproof foam where the baffle use to be. It'll be nearly weightless and provide float to the paddle.
PJohanson wrote:Water in the paddle shaft? That'll add weight and it'll slosh around in an annoying way.
There's often a baffle inside the paddle shaft, so that the shaft won't fill up with sand and water. Sounds like your baffle has either got a hole or gotten knocked crooked. Sounds like it is letting water in but isn't in a position to let all the water back out.
Get a flashlight and have a look inside the shaft.
If there is a baffle, you should be able to see it. Is it crooked, or pierced?
Stand the halves of your paddle upright, open end down & blade up. Go have a cup of coffee or something. Come back later and see if any water has dripped out. If so, good. If not, use a mild cuss word.
At this point, you have a choice. For one of my paddles, I chose to get that baffle the heck out of there since I couldn't get the water out and then seal it. I made a long gaffe from a wire coat hanger, poked it through the tough plasticized paper of the baffe, and was actually able to snake out the torn baffle. I would have settled for tearing the baffle to shreds even if I couldn't get the bits out. At least water would run out.
While a store-bought paddle will usually float when dropped, if you've broken the baffle accidentally or on purpose or removed it, the shaft WILL fill with water if dropped and is more likely to sink. I use a paddle tether (3 or 4 metres/yards of bright, cheap deck line from the paddle store). If you don't want to use a paddle tether, your need for a spare paddle is increased.