Greenland paddles - anyone here use one?

AE5005 UltraLite Pack Paddle, AE2024 Packlight Paddle, AE2015 Touring Paddle, AE2034 Attack Whitewater Paddle, AE2035 Carbon Fiber Paddle, AE2030 Axis 230 Paddle, AE2028 Twilight Travel Paddle, AE2051 Orbit Paddle

Moderator: JCOOLEY

KayakJack

Greenland paddles - anyone here use one?

Post by KayakJack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:36 pm

I just inherited a beautiful Greenland paddle and thought it would be interesting to use with my Expedition (As if the inflatable kayak itself didn't draw enough attention already!). Anyone use one with an inflatable yet? Opinions? tips?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:23 am

Not sure how many responses you will get but the Greenland style of paddle has been used with our kayaks before. We sponsored an adventure race over in Europe a few years back and some of the participants used their Greenland paddles to paddle our kayaks. Never got feedback though on how well they worked with the kayaks.
They are very nice looking paddles and basically do the same task as modern day paddles. From my understanding (never having even held one) you use less effort because of the blade style but end up being able to paddle a littler faster thus achieving the same result.
I truly believe that with any paddle, it is really personal preference. I look forward to hearing how it feels and performs with our kayaks. I think that if I come across one at some point that someone is selling for fairly cheap, I just may pick one up just to have another option for paddling.

Jeremy
8)

Jaygee

Post by Jaygee » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:19 pm

I use a GP with my Folbot Cooper and I have used it quite often with my AE 10.5. It works very well with the AE.
The GP is easier on the shoulders, particularly for extended trips. Generally, you use a shorter stroke but with a higher cadence when paddling with a GP.
I made my GP using Western Red Cedar and it weighs less than my Carbon Fiber Euro paddle. Try one - you'll like it!

KayakJack

i'll keep you guys posted!

Post by KayakJack » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:20 pm

awesome! thanks for the tip on how to use a GP, much appreciated. i'll definitely keep you guys posted. next trip with GP will be about 2-3 weeks from now. been busy at work. :(