paddle type

AE5005 UltraLite Pack Paddle, AE2024 Packlight Paddle, AE2015 Touring Paddle, AE2034 Attack Whitewater Paddle, AE2035 Carbon Fiber Paddle, AE2030 Axis 230 Paddle, AE2028 Twilight Travel Paddle, AE2051 Orbit Paddle

Moderator: JCOOLEY

boreas

paddle type

Post by boreas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi, I have an AF Expedition kayak and I want to by a paddle. Witch kind of blade is OK for this kayak: ASYMMETRICAL blade or SEA?

Thank you!

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:30 am

My preference is the touring paddle with dihedrial blades for improved efficiency. Much better for longer trips. Advanced Elements sells these. Take a look at their main page under accessories. They are four piece touring paddles AE2015. I think they are $99.00 USD or close to it.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:43 am

Whatever paddle feels best when you are using it is the best paddle for you. You'll probably want a paddle that if you stand it beside you, is about as long or longer than you can reach.
River paddling calls for a shorter paddle, for steering control. Long distance sea kayaking calls for a longer paddle, for efficiency with a low stroke. Just goofing around for short distances means you can use any paddle that suits you, probably medium to shorter.
Some people really really enjoy using a carbon fibre or Kevlar fibre paddle, because it is very light. Others find that an inexpensive paddle works just fine. An ergonomic bent shaft is more comfortable for some people who have a wrist or elbow injury -- one of my friends was very glad to get her bent shaft paddle.
My partner uses a greenland paddle and says it's the best. Try one and see what you think.
If you have friends willing to let you try their paddles, see how different paddles feel for you. Try them with and without gloves.
The kayak and canoe store locally has a sale every fall, where they sell at a discount the equipment they've been renting out all summer. This is a chance to get a good paddle at a good price!