Seat adjustments

AE2023-AF1, AE2023-AFX, AE2023-AFC, AE2023-DF2.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Joan

Seat adjustments

Post by Joan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:24 am

I don't know about the rest of you backbone users but I can feel mine and it's not comfortable. I'm not sure if there's a connection but my back bothered me too. I know some of that is from a whole new kind of movement that kayaking provides but I thought some was from the kayak seat. I looked at other seats but couldn't be sure a new one would solve my problems.

So I went to Wal*Mart to see what I could find. I'd read a post about using a camping pad over the backbone. I gave them serious consideration, but I didn't think it would solve my back issue. I did find something that is perfect for both! I bought what I would call a plastic/styrofoam kick board for about $6. It has a slight arch to it down the middle. I trimmed the bottom end to square it up then measured it so my seat piece would be slightly longer that the kayak seat's bottom. I placed board on top of the backbone, put in the floor, then the seat. I set the leftover back board piece up against the back of the seat as I got in. Talk about comfortable! I sit a couple of inches higher and my back feels completely supported. What a find! I'm thinking I'll buy myself a back-up kick board. =)

etnocity

Post by etnocity » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:30 am

Helpful post. There are so many activities that would be confortable with a back supporting system. Great job!

robbyw

Re: Seat adjustments

Post by robbyw » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:15 am

Good report. Can you send in some pictures to show what it looks like?
Joan wrote:I don't know about the rest of you backbone users but I can feel mine and it's not comfortable. I'm not sure if there's a connection but my back bothered me too. I know some of that is from a whole new kind of movement that kayaking provides but I thought some was from the kayak seat. I looked at other seats but couldn't be sure a new one would solve my problems.

So I went to Wal*Mart to see what I could find. I'd read a post about using a camping pad over the backbone. I gave them serious consideration, but I didn't think it would solve my back issue. I did find something that is perfect for both! I bought what I would call a plastic/styrofoam kick board for about $6. It has a slight arch to it down the middle. I trimmed the bottom end to square it up then measured it so my seat piece would be slightly longer that the kayak seat's bottom. I placed board on top of the backbone, put in the floor, then the seat. I set the leftover back board piece up against the back of the seat as I got in. Talk about comfortable! I sit a couple of inches higher and my back feels completely supported. What a find! I'm thinking I'll buy myself a back-up kick board. =)

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:02 pm

You might want to check the amount of air you're putting into the floor. It might not be enough. I have an Expedition with a backbone and I can't feel the backbone if I put enough air in. Just a thought.

Joan

Post by Joan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm going out tomorrow morning. I'll take some photos.

I may not be putting in enough air in the floor but I like being an inch and a half higher plus it feels firmer.

Joan

Post by Joan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Ok...here are the first and second kickboards I bought. The first was such an ugly color, I decided to buy it to protect some poor child from having to use it! It's really bad! They are made of the same stuff as pool noodles. Notice the arch in it.

Here's the bottom half that sits on the backbone.

And the rest of it for the back.

All it takes is an exact-o knife.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Thank you for the pictures. Sounds like it would work well. However I have to say I'm not sure what a styrofoam "kickboard" is. It must be a common item if you purchased it at Walmart but I don't recognize it.

Joan

Post by Joan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:46 pm

I remember them from when I was a kid. We used kickboards in a swimming pool. You hold on to the board with your hands and kick with your legs.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:53 am

Oh yes. I know what your talking about now. Thanks.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:24 pm

Joan,

I actually purchase one of the kick boards you mentioned. I want to try it out to see how comfortable it is. I would actually like to raise myself up about 3/4 to 1" in the kayak so I thought I would try it. I was wondering however if you have a bulge in the hull where you put the foam? If so I will try it above the floor.

Don

Joan

Post by Joan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Good question! I don't know if there is a bulge on the underside. Do you have any easy questions? =)

If I'm using the backbone (which I haven't used the last 3 or 4 times out), I use the kick board over it with the concave side facing down and over the backbone. Since I have not been using the backbone, I put the kick board on top of the floor and under the seat with the concave side down. I now use the back piece of the kick board behind the seat and instead of in front as in the photo above. I thought maybe not attaching the seat back might be a problem but it hasn't been. I like it better behind the seat as I don't have to worry about it moving, blowing away, or falling down as I get in. It's just easier for me.

I hope this helps 'splain things.