Advanced frame backbone

AE2023-AF1, AE2023-AFX, AE2023-AFC, AE2023-DF2.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Kenmnz

Advanced frame backbone

Post by Kenmnz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Has any one ever tried gluing a pvc [curtainsider fabric] sleeve to the ouside centre line of the hull, so that an aluminium tube can be slid in to create a backbone /keel ?

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:08 pm

Have not really seen any posts on this but what I can tell you is that placing a "backbone" type keel beam on the outside of the hull kind of defeats some of the purpose of the BackBone. The BackBone installs inside of the kayak so that when you sit on it, it not only provides rigidity, but it also forms a V-shape hull which enhances the tracking ability of the kayak.

Placing an aluminum tube on the outside could be problematic for a few reasons. It would be outside of the kayak and exposed to damage and it would probably create a bit of drag. Also, I am not too sure how much rigidity it would provide because the BackBone interfaces with the inner tube of the kayak and the outer cover, thus creating one rigid V-shaped hull.

Hope this info helps and if you end up testing your method be sure to post your findings!

Kenmnz

Backbone

Post by Kenmnz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply.
As my idea was to slide a pipe into a full length pocket ,on the keel line,
I felt that the load generated by sitting would still push the backbone down.
Re possible damage, with the backbone on the outside, any damage would only be to the glued on pocket ,not to the hull fabric, which I felt would be preferable.
Once I have sourced a suitable glue I will go ahead and try this.
If it doesn't work, I will cut the pocket open and glue the two flaps down, which will be useful as added hull protection.
I will continue to post updates after trying this.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:42 pm

As it was mentioned before, placing the pipe on the outside will not get the same affect of the V-shape hull when the backbone is installed inside. You will still only have the flatter bottom hull with a pipe creating a keel. If the pocket is not sealed at the front, water will get into the pocket creating more drag than anything.
The backbone is also a fairly large diameter tubing. Not sure what you were planning on using but it will need to pretty beefy in order not to bend.