Possible to use backbone with 2007 dragonfly2?

AE2023-AF1, AE2023-AFX, AE2023-AFC, AE2023-DF2.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

jeanne

Possible to use backbone with 2007 dragonfly2?

Post by jeanne » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:48 pm

I have an AF convertible, which I love. It feels like a hard sit inside when it's fully inflated, with the backbone. I don't bother to use the inflatable floor that comes with it, rather, I purchased the Stearns/Sevlor (sp?) inflatable seats (something like $6 each) and place my seats on that. They wedge pretty well. This reduces weight, reduces pumping, and most importantly, I no longer sit in water when water comes in the boat and sit in a more comfortable position.

I received the 2007 Dragonfly II as a gift. I paddle in the bays in So Cal, and can really feel the waves in the Dragonfly as it currently is. It makes me feel woozy, maybe because I am spoiled by my AF convertible. I want to do something like what I did with my AF convertible for this kayak. But there is no backbone for this model - it only starts for the 2008. Does the 2008 backbone work on the older model too? I think I would have to separate the flooring from the outer ring since it's attached on this boat, but if it's the same size, I think it might work. Does anyone know?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:06 am

You are precisely right. The 2008 Backbone only works with the 2008 Dragonfly2 since it no longer has an inflatable floor attached to the main tube. You would have to cut away the floor of the 2007 in order to put the backbone in it. Not really recommended but it can be done. You would have to very careful as to not puncture any of the tubes.

Jeremy
8)

PJohanson

possible suggestion

Post by PJohanson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:08 pm

For Jeanne's 2007 Dragonfly 2, I have a suggestion to consider, before she tries cutting out the inflatable floor.
Perhaps one could try laying out the kayak, removing or pulling aside the inside flotation part, and laying in a homemade backbone, then putting the inside flotation part back.
Wonder what Jeremy thinks of this idea... The homemade backbone could be a metal pipe, about ten to eleven feet long. The ends should taper to flat, rounded ends. The idea would be not to have sharp edges at the end of the dowel or pipe, which could cause wear on the outer cover or the inflation chambers. The homemade backbone would not disassemble.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:37 pm

Very good! People have actually done that in the past. For instance, they have used one of our AE2005 4-part paddles. The blade on the end is flat unlike the curved blade on the backbone. The only problem with doing just a tube or even the paddle, is it can still shift around under the inflated portion of the kayak. If it gets off center, then it will mess with the tracking of the kayak. If you can get a piece long enough to where it can wedge into the bow and stern of the kayak, then it will probably work better.

Jeremy
8)

jeanne

Thank you!

Post by jeanne » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:40 pm

Thank you, Jeremy and PJohanson! I'll try the paddle option first and see how that goes!

Great products, by the way! I love that I can manage my kayak all alone any time and be on the water in minutes! You make it possible for me.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:18 pm

Would it be possible to hold the paddle in place with some heavy duty velcro? It seems like if velcro could hold a person suspended on a wall, it would hold a paddle in place.

I would think that you could use a good adhesive to lay some strong hook and loop under the part where you want the paddle to be, then just wrap it up and around the shaft of the paddle to hold it in place. It would probably hold it in place if done several times down the length of the paddle. Just a thought.

Daddy-O

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:34 pm

You would want to make sure that the adhesive on the velcro will work with PVC based material. You wouldn't want to stick something on that could breakdown the PVC.

Jeremy
8)

PJohanson

adhesive

Post by PJohanson » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:02 am

Jeremy says:
You would want to make sure that the adhesive on the velcro will work with PVC based material. You wouldn't want to stick something on that could breakdown the PVC.

Is it true that duct tape will break down the PVC?
What about Gorilla Tape? It's way tougher than duct tape and has stronger glue.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:15 am

Duct tape will break it down a little. Not very much though. The problem with duct tape is if you remove it, it leaves very sticky residue on the PVC. It is hard to remove. It is because it has bonded a little with the material. Not a good choice.

Jeremy
8)

jeanne

Post by jeanne » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:00 pm

The paddle as a backbone works great. I can align it with the tracking fins before I inflate and it stays nicely without needing to be attached. I guess it gets tight in there once everything is inflated.

It's great having both boats- I use the convertible when I need to keep up with my experienced fiberglass friends, and the dragonfly2 when I want the extra workout or I'm with beginners. :)

Thanks!