Backbone feedback - Martinez kayaking

AE2023-AF1, AE2023-AFX, AE2023-AFC, AE2023-DF2.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Pete Tews

Backbone feedback - Martinez kayaking

Post by Pete Tews » Thu May 15, 2008 10:32 pm

I finally got a chance to hit the water today after installing the backbone for the first time. It was a hot day here in Martinez CA and after work in the evening, I decided to hit the Carquinez Straits for some paddling.

The backbone was easy to install in my AirFrame (the old school orange one) and I immediately felt a difference once in the water. I felt that I sat a little higher and my feet had more support in the bow. Once on the water, it felt like I cut through the water faster.

I paddled to Benicia and back to the Martinez marina and it was a great experience. The backbone made a positive improvement in the kayak. Well worth upgrading!

On a side note, if anyone in the Diablo (Concord, Martinez, Benicia) area wants to hit the water with me, get in touch with me. I would love to go out there with companions! Especially if the warm weather keeps up! Also the full moon is coming up, and night paddling in the full moon is especially wonderful.

thanks!

-pete

khaduch

Post by khaduch » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:37 pm

Thanks for the info. I got my Expedition back at Christmas and have been out in it 5-10 times. I joined a group of younger, fitter hard shell users. I have been able to keep up with them for the most part, but sometimes they do longer trips and then I wear out! It sounds like the backbone would be a good idea for me-- give me just a little more help up. If it would help me sit up a little higher that would be good too. I am only 5'1" and have the foot brace in the closest position and feel like it's still not enough when I really want to "dig in". We have a few longer trips planned and I was hesitant to commit.