backbone tip

AE2023-AF1, AE2023-AFX, AE2023-AFC, AE2023-DF2.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

khaduch

backbone tip

Post by khaduch » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:34 pm

I got my new backbone this week and took it out for a paddle. definately felt like I was sitting higher. Putting it in and setting up was not much extra work, but I had a terrible time getting it out again! The thick foam kept me from being able to keep the release button pushed down. My clever friend took out his utility knife and just cut the foam away around the button a little more (hole now the size of a quarter). Now I'm good to go!

KayakJack

Re: backbone tip

Post by KayakJack » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:01 pm

That's a good one.

Tip #2: This applies more to saltwater than freshwater but I guess it can also happen from paddling in freshwater. Over time, mineral deposits, rust, dirt, and gooey kablooeys will find it's way into the button, causing it to be harder and harder to press down and eventually seizing it the mechanism - especially during long periods of storage.

I always rinse the button and the inside of the tube out with clean fresh water when I am done paddling. Even just a few splashes from a bottle of spring water will help. I've even applied a thin coat of silicone lubricant to the button and mechanism as a preventive measure - it also helps repels moisture / water too.

khaduch wrote:I got my new backbone this week and took it out for a paddle. definately felt like I was sitting higher. Putting it in and setting up was not much extra work, but I had a terrible time getting it out again! The thick foam kept me from being able to keep the release button pushed down. My clever friend took out his utility knife and just cut the foam away around the button a little more (hole now the size of a quarter). Now I'm good to go!

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:58 pm

That sounds like a good idea to apply the silicon lube to the button. Just a reminder for others, though, that WD-40 is NOT a lube and is NOT good for the same purpose, ok?

KayakJack

WD40

Post by KayakJack » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:46 am

PJohnson is right. WD-40 as a lubricant is a common misconception. It is more of a water displacer / degreaser-cleaner. It'll leave a light coating that acts as a lubricant but will wear off quickly. I also find the smell of it nauseating - imagine paddling for hours and smelling nothing but WD-40.

You can also use a wax type of lubricant - usually sold in bike shops, it doesn't attract dirt, and isn't harmful to the environment.

PJohanson wrote:That sounds like a good idea to apply the silicon lube to the button. Just a reminder for others, though, that WD-40 is NOT a lube and is NOT good for the same purpose, ok?

MDO

Pulling backbone together/apart

Post by MDO » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:22 pm

That is the part I dread everytime.

Any tricks to
a- pull together the 2 pieces without the black foam rubber sliding over the hole, and allowing the button to 'click'
b- pull apart the two pieces - they seem to almost be stuck together. Should vaseline be used? then I am afraid the tubes will get all messed up...

MDO

KayakJack

Re: Pulling backbone together/apart

Post by KayakJack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:39 pm

a) I have two backbones, one for each kayak. i used a razor and cut a bigger whole on one. and on the other, i just cut a huge piece away - it was getting annoying.

b) wax based lubricant (ie: white lightening from bike store), just a very thin coat will do. zipper wax (Mcnett) will also work. even a thin coat of chapstick but wont last long.
MDO wrote:That is the part I dread everytime.

Any tricks to
a- pull together the 2 pieces without the black foam rubber sliding over the hole, and allowing the button to 'click'
b- pull apart the two pieces - they seem to almost be stuck together. Should vaseline be used? then I am afraid the tubes will get all messed up...

MDO

MDO

2nd kayak arrived!

Post by MDO » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:57 am

Thanks Kayakjak

Our 2nd kayak arrived last night! We could not resist.... packed the two boats in the trunk of my Honda Civic, and went to the canal until sunset.... It was amazing. (':)')

I instinctively did what you said for the backbone for my 10.5 AF - for now I used a little spray of olive oil.... and I cut the hole into a much larger square! It did make a huge difference. Our 2nd kayak is the 13' Expedition, and my husband found the same problem.

I also discovered (for mine) that when the kayak is mostly deflated, if I unzip the bow, I can pull the entire backbone out and pulling it apart is A LOT easier!

KayakJack

Re: 2nd kayak arrived!

Post by KayakJack » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:03 am

glad to hear! dont forget to take some pics and post on the trips/stories of this forum! would love to see them!
MDO wrote:Thanks Kayakjak

Our 2nd kayak arrived last night! We could not resist.... packed the two boats in the trunk of my Honda Civic, and went to the canal until sunset.... It was amazing. (':)')

I instinctively did what you said for the backbone for my 10.5 AF - for now I used a little spray of olive oil.... and I cut the hole into a much larger square! It did make a huge difference. Our 2nd kayak is the 13' Expedition, and my husband found the same problem.

I also discovered (for mine) that when the kayak is mostly deflated, if I unzip the bow, I can pull the entire backbone out and pulling it apart is A LOT easier!

JimD

Re: backbone tip

Post by JimD » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:53 pm

khaduch wrote:I got my new backbone this week and took it out for a paddle. definately felt like I was sitting higher. Putting it in and setting up was not much extra work, but I had a terrible time getting it out again! The thick foam kept me from being able to keep the release button pushed down. My clever friend took out his utility knife and just cut the foam away around the button a little more (hole now the size of a quarter). Now I'm good to go!
I've got some arthritis in my hands, and ran into this problem on breakdown. I could push the button in OK, but the foam twisted on the tube when I tried to twist it apart. I cleaned it, and kept it indoors a few days to dry, then I made sure the foam was lined up right over the buttons, and then squeezed some contact adhesive in to fix the foam to the tube. The second time I took it out dismantling went a lot easier.

Jim

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Good idea , the foam does seem to move around a lot.

I was thinking of spraying the connections with Sailkote
dry teflon lubricant for easier assembling/disassembling .

sonar

Post by sonar » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:52 pm

I made my own backbone.

I thought about the foam sleeve and then decided to use the one side self adhesive neoprene rubber strips.
Long strips approx 20mm wide and 10mm thick.

Never had a problem with them.

The foam moves about a lot.!!!
Is it possible to just place a small amout of adhesive to the foam just before the connection.?
This would make sure the foam never slipped up towards the joining part..

JimD

Post by JimD » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 pm

sonar wrote: ...
Is it possible to just place a small amout of adhesive to the foam just before the connection.?
This would make sure the foam never slipped up towards the joining part..
That's what I did. Lifted the edge of the foam gently, and squeezed the glue into the gap. It's only fixed for a couple of inches at the ends. Be careful not to get glue smeared on the parts that need to fit together.

Jim