Advanced Frame Backbone...any reviews?

AE2023-AF1, AE2023-AFX, AE2023-AFC, AE2023-DF2.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

davidcampanile

Advanced Frame Backbone...any reviews?

Post by davidcampanile » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:56 pm

Looking to find out if the backbone for the AF is worth getting.
Any information on how it improves tracking and/or performance would be appreciated.
Thanks!

feldmarshal1

backbone

Post by feldmarshal1 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:56 pm

I wouldn't paddle the expedition or convertable without one. I own the Expedition and it raise me out of the water 2 inches and really stopped the whole boat from flexing. Get it you won't be diappointed.

Rookie4570

Post by Rookie4570 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:21 am

I think another review (could have been feldmarshal also) said you could use a piece of foam under the seat because of where it sits. :oops:

davidcampanile

Thanks for the suggestions

Post by davidcampanile » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:41 pm

Thanks for all the mesaages...and KUDOS to the member who made the awesome suggestion in making sure the main tubes were fully inflated...(Very Firm) because after I tried that, my performance/skating improved 100%
I was always intimidated as to how much air I should inflate the AF with...
I read that a foot pump would not overinflate the main tube so I pumped the main tube until it was very firm as opposed to just somewhat firm and it made all the difference. My AF now tracks and performs better than some hard shell's I've rented in the past!
Thanks to all and have a great Summer paddling!

Rookie4570

Post by Rookie4570 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:16 am

Just received my "backbones" last week and finally had a chance to take them for a run on the weekend.
The second the wife launched I could see the difference. She sat at least 2 inches higher out of the water and before she was 20 feet away she commented on the improved speed and tracking.

We paddled for about two hours in a bit of chop and wind and noticed it helped considerably. Also, with the additional speed we ended up making it further down one of our favourite lakes than usual. Oh, and I couldn't feel the "backbone" under my seat at all.

Would highly recommend one if you can swing the extra $.

Great job AE!

TechieguyNY

backbone for advanced frame

Post by TechieguyNY » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:59 am

just put the backbone in this weekend,
LOVE IT.

I'm already too heavy for the advanced frame kayak, I'm at 290#
but I was able to keep up with a 18 year old in a hardside
percepton swifty which is the same overall length.
without it I was struggling and beat by the time we got back.
they also have the larger perceptions that are 12footers, I
could not keep up, but I'm thinking about the expedition, also
losing weight haha, but testing apples to apples the backbone
was very impressive. and could fold it up and throw it inside the
jeep where the hardsides needed all the rigs to get home. :D
THANKS GUYS, shows technology works

Viking

Re: Advanced Frame Backbone...any reviews?

Post by Viking » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:35 pm

davidcampanile wrote:Looking to find out if the backbone for the AF is worth getting.
Any information on how it improves tracking and/or performance would be appreciated.
Thanks!
This summer I´ve done a whole lot of paddling in the AE1 with and without the bb (back bone). It´s been calm river or calm lake paddling only, no severe rapids, and no high see paddling, so my conclusions cover only these conditions. For me three things stand out as far as speed, and directional stability goes: 1-keep the pressure up: An underinflated Ae1 will behave like a toy, and have no dir. stability, and will be heavy to paddle, and will flex badly in waves, whereas a firmy pumped one will track dead straight, and go much faster . The upper skin of the kayak should be flat and no crinkles should be seen at the sides where you sit.
2- If you sit rather far back the bow will sit higher in the water, and you will gain speed, and foot room will improve. A foot rest will improve your paddling force. If you sit far to the front the bow will plow deeper and make more resistance in the water. A (visual) disadvantage of sitting far back is that the bow will sway more to and fro as you paddle.
3- With the bb installed you will notice no difference whatsoever provided that the kayak is properly inflated. I´m aware that things probably are different in very severe waves or rapids, but for calm water paddling the bb just adds weight and complextiy. If you sit higher over the water with the bb installed, the remedy is to add more air because the AE1 needs no internal bracing under these conditions.
As for plywood strips under the "matress" they too will not improve a fully inflated AE1. The fact that some hard shell kayaks go faster is not because the AE1 is an inflatable, but rather due to the shortness and beam of it

3-Bearss

Post by 3-Bearss » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:58 pm

I got the backbone right away with my AF2 convertable, after a 7 Km ocean paddle near Peggy's Cove Nova Scotia, I am so pleased I got it.
I was paddling this 15 foot inflatable solo, my partner had a $3500 15' fiberglass kayak and I stayed with or passed him on many occasions. I felt no fatigue after a morning of paddle. My friend took it for a quick paddle and even found the seat more comfortable than his boat.

I wouldn't think twice about getting the backbone again!

typo fixed!
Last edited by 3-Bearss on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uli

Size of disjointed backbone for the Convertible

Post by Uli » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:04 am

Hello,

can anybody tell me what is the size of the disjointed backbone for the AF Convertible?
As I can read from the AE catalog the full size of the Convertible backbone is 126,5". Will it be half or less when it is disjointed?

I would like to ask a friend to bring me one from the US (I am in Europe) when he visitis his wife on chrsitmas. He will go by plane so it is important to know what the size of the backbone is when it is fully disjointed to find out if it is OK for the airline.
Is it possible to take of the blades, too?

Regards

Ulrich

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Re: Size of disjointed backbone for the Convertible

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:40 am

Uli wrote:Hello,

can anybody tell me what is the size of the disjointed backbone for the AF Convertible?
As I can read from the AE catalog the full size of the Convertible backbone is 126,5". Will it be half or less when it is disjointed?

I would like to ask a friend to bring me one from the US (I am in Europe) when he visitis his wife on chrsitmas. He will go by plane so it is important to know what the size of the backbone is when it is fully disjointed to find out if it is OK for the airline.
Is it possible to take of the blades, too?

Regards

Ulrich
In inches, the size of the box that it comes in is 35.5 x 7.5 x 4.5 easily small enough to be brought on a plane as a carry on or put into a suitcase.