RapidUp Sail question

Questions, answers and suggestions about other accessories for Advanced Elements Kayaks

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Joan

RapidUp Sail question

Post by Joan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:27 pm

I just bought a RapidUp Sail and although I am able to fold it, it won't possibly fit in the bag. I can't make heads or tails of the diagrams in the manual. Does anyone have photos that show how to fold it?

Thanks so much.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:45 pm

Folding takes a little getting used to . I think this link may show you ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjWwsqai ... re=related

Joan

Post by Joan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:34 am

Thanks Pearly! I've watched that great video and all the others I could find including AE's on the RapidUp which gets me closer. I'm pretty sure I can set the sail up as that's pretty straightforward, it's the folding I'm having trouble with. I'm looking for "The RapidDown" episode. =)

JimD

lateral thinking...

Post by JimD » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:25 am

I don't have a sail, but from the pics it looks like it folds into a coil to fit the bag. Have you tried folding it like a bandsaw blade? There are a load of videos showing how to fold them. Don't worry about the gloves and goggles and try the methods in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z45BIMQ3WlM for example.

Good luck

Joan

Post by Joan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Jim, that's a GREAT video! I can only fold the sail so it forms 2 loops instead of the video's 3 with the saw blade. It doesn't come close to fitting in the bag but for now I am delighted I can fold it at all. It makes transport a whole lot easier. Thank you!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:34 pm

The manual is not the clearest explanation of how to fold the sail.

If you look at the illustration, points A will slide over each other when you slide points B over each other. Do not strain the rod though! It does feel like you need four hands to begin with, but once you have folded it a few times, it becomes easy.

http://www.advancedelementskayaks.co.uk ... ual2-4.pdf

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:07 pm

Joan,

I was the guy in the video Pearly recommended. I used to have a folding section at the end of the video to show how easy it was to fold even high winds. However I had to edit it down some and that got cut. Let me try to explain it.

With the back of the sail facing you, pull the two sides in and hold them together in your left hand. Then put your other hand on the top of the sail in the middle. Rest the bottom of the sail on your left leg. Fold the top forward and downward. It will begin to collapse at this point. The right side of the sail will want to go under the left side (help it along with your thumb). Then simply guide the "rings" together. You should end up with three loops.

Precaution - You want to ease the top down without stressing the top of the sail. Approximately 12 to 14 inches from the center top, on both sides, are the weak points. Don't let this section fold too sharply. Make sure this section is nice and rounded when you fold it. If it looks like it is bending then stop and start over.

Hope this helps. If not I'll see if I can make enother video on folding. However to be honest, because of the weak points it may be better to let it fold into only two loops and not use the case. It puts less stress on the frame and the sail will last longer, but you don't have a storage case. Your preference. I personally use the case.

Just a note - I caught a wind this past weekend with the sail that allowed me to surf the waves for about half a mile. I wish I had my GPS to see how fast I was going because I was really moving.

Don

Joan

Post by Joan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks for that info, Don! I swear the thing is maniacal! =) After bringing the sides together, the top wants to fold down but away from me not towards me! I think I will just be happy with 2 rings! I can hold them together with a couple of small binder clips on the frame.

My next question is how do I get the snap hooks off the D-rings!

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Thats an easy one. Use cutters and cut the tab on the hooks shorter so that they only just cover the opening. The problem is that the tabs are too long and that makes it difficult to push them inward enough to get them off of the Dring.

Joan

Post by Joan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Suuure! It's easy when you know how! =)

Thanks, Don!

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:36 pm

Below are three photos showing how to modify the RapidUp Sail snap hooks to make them easier to install and remove from the D-rings.

This photo shows the snap hooks as they come from the manufacturer. Note how long the tab in the snap hook is. Because these tabs are so long it makes the snap hooks difficult to install onto the D-rings and even more difficult to remove.

Snap Hook Before Modification by dspidaliere, on Flickr

Simply use a pair of cutters and cut the tab flush with the end of the hook.

Cutting the Snap Hook by dspidaliere, on Flickr

This will give you a tab that just covers the opening of the hook and from my own experience is easier to install and a hell of lot easier to remove. And they hold the D-rings beautifully.

Snap Hook After Being Cut by dspidaliere, on Flickr

Cut at your own risk, but its worth it.

Don (dspid2404)

Joan

Post by Joan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Great photos!! Thank you yet again!

JimD

Talk about good company response!

Post by JimD » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:07 am

I just noticed that two days ago AE posted a video on how to fold the sail!
http://youtu.be/zGliR5zwWcg

JimD

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:08 am

What they fail to state in the video is that you need to rest the bottom on your leg. They do show it in the video but they should make it clear by stating it. Otherwise it won't work. Just my opinion. But I'm glad they finally did a video.

Don

Joan

Post by Joan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:58 am

That's brilliant!!! Too bad it took me 72 views to actually fold it! :shock: (Apparently I'm not a quick study!) It's so exciting to have it back in the bag! Thanks AE, and Thanks Jim for letting us know about it!