AE Dry Bags

Questions, answers and suggestions about other accessories for Advanced Elements Kayaks

Moderator: JCOOLEY

seasteve

AE Dry Bags

Post by seasteve » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:01 pm

I would appreciate any real world experiences with the 3 Advanced Elements dry bags. How dry are they really. Are they easy to access on the front deck or do they interfere with your paddling. Are bags from other manufacturers better? Any input would be appreciated.

Richard

Dry Bag - Oxymoron

Post by Richard » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:08 pm

When I asked this question about "dry bags" to an experienced kayaker, he advised me to double bag everything that you don't want to get wet. If you have valuables encased in a single "dry bag" of any brand sitting atop a kayak, you always run the risk of them getting wet. If you are not overly concerned about a little water getting inside or paddling conditions are ideal, then a single bag might do the trick. Many kayakers use a plain plastic bag (Ziplock , etc.) as a secondary bag in case the "dry bag" should fail and allow water to get inside.
If placed and secured properly, a dry bag should not interfere with your paddling.

KayakJack

Re: AE Dry Bags

Post by KayakJack » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:34 pm

Any Navy SEAL will always tell you to double bag your stuff, especially electronics or explosives. (Marine silicone sealant optional.)

I use a zip lock bag, and a dry bag. Works fine.

seasteve wrote:I would appreciate any real world experiences with the 3 Advanced Elements dry bags. How dry are they really. Are they easy to access on the front deck or do they interfere with your paddling. Are bags from other manufacturers better? Any input would be appreciated.

seasteve

Post by seasteve » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:02 am

Richard and KayakJack, I agree with both of you. I keep three of those little watertight "ID" boxes inside my "dry" bag. One box contains my first aid kit IN A ZIPLOCK BAG!

Here's where I'm at...

I have a sit-on-top Ocean Kayak which is great for the summer months in Central Texas. My wife wanted an inflatable so we bought the AdvancedFrame. I plan to use the AdvanceFrame with the spray skirt this winter. I'm 6'3", so I won't need the "Foot Brace" and I won't be stuffing a dry bag in the bow. I'm wanting information on the Advanced Elements bags since they are designed to be securely fastened to the forward desk.

What I want to know is:

1. Is the ZipTop actually a "dry" bag? Or is it filled with water after the first bow wave?

2. Does the Roll Top get in the way of your paddle?

3. Can the Cargo Bag be securely clipped to the forward deck? If so, does IT get in the way?

4. Anyone found something better?

Richard

AE Dry Bags

Post by Richard » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:38 am

Can't comment on how "watertight" the AE dry bags are , but you did mention about storing a dry bag on/in an Advanced Frame kayak. I have often stuffed a drybag or two behind me in the stern section of the AF kayak. There is enough space back there to store small items. There is also room on the rear deck to secure a small bag as well.
I purchased a length of shockcord and laced it across the rear deck - similar to that found on the front deck. I found that useful to secure small, flat items.

KayakJack

Post by KayakJack » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:23 pm

I usually shove the drybag/zip bag combo behind the seat. I just keep my cell phone, electronics, etc. in there.

Most of the time, I'll just use my North Face back pack(with many individual ziplocks), and keep it clipped in with the opening facing me (so I can access my stuff easily) bow or stern side. I accomplish this by attaching small carabiners through the plastic rings and then attaching the carabiners on to my backpack. This holds it well in place, with the opening facing me, with zippers easily accessible.

The carabiners also work well as a tie-point when I need to dock my kayak. (pics in the other forum, Stories - Trips - Locations)

-KJ

seasteve wrote:Richard and KayakJack, I agree with both of you. I keep three of those little watertight "ID" boxes inside my "dry" bag. One box contains my first aid kit IN A ZIPLOCK BAG!

Here's where I'm at...

I have a sit-on-top Ocean Kayak which is great for the summer months in Central Texas. My wife wanted an inflatable so we bought the AdvancedFrame. I plan to use the AdvanceFrame with the spray skirt this winter. I'm 6'3", so I won't need the "Foot Brace" and I won't be stuffing a dry bag in the bow. I'm wanting information on the Advanced Elements bags since they are designed to be securely fastened to the forward desk.

What I want to know is:

1. Is the ZipTop actually a "dry" bag? Or is it filled with water after the first bow wave?

2. Does the Roll Top get in the way of your paddle?

3. Can the Cargo Bag be securely clipped to the forward deck? If so, does IT get in the way?

4. Anyone found something better?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:31 am

The rolltop and zip top bags are small bags that can fit on the deck of the kayak and will not get in the way. They are dry bags but as mentioned before, almost all drybags are not 100% guaranteed to keep your gear completely dry. There is always nooks and crannies that water can get through. This happens especially in roll top bags. The cargo bag is definately not a dry bag. It is in the sense that the inside is lined to help keep gear dry. It is what it says though. A Cargo Bag. With any dry bag, you should always double bag. The Cargo Bag fits nicely behind the seat of the Advanced Frame. It can be strapped to the top deck and may or may not get in the way depending on your paddle style. The d-rings are far enough forward to where it shouldn't get in the way.

Jeremy
8)