How essential is a spray skirt?

Questions, answers and suggestions about other accessories for Advanced Elements Kayaks

Moderator: JCOOLEY

TerenceToronto

How essential is a spray skirt?

Post by TerenceToronto » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm in the market to buy an Expedition, and I'm trying to figure out all the accessories I'll need as well. I've only been recreational kayaking a few times, and on mostly calm water, and I have never used a skirt and didn't really get wet. Do I really need to buy one? I'm not planning to kayak in white water or anything. I can always purchase it later I guess, but was just wondering how essential this is fir kayaking. Thanks! :)

Nighthawk700

Post by Nighthawk700 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:07 am

Your use of the kayak sounds similar to mine. Mostly lakes or calm rivers. The only time I wished I had a spray skirt was when my daughter got overly enthusiastic at paddling (front half of a Convertible) and splashed me. Other than that, it doesn't sound like you'll really need one.

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:17 pm

Nighthawk700 wrote:Your use of the kayak sounds similar to mine. Mostly lakes or calm rivers. The only time I wished I had a spray skirt was when my daughter got overly enthusiastic at paddling (front half of a Convertible) and splashed me. Other than that, it doesn't sound like you'll really need one.
Thanks for the reply. Good, so I made the right decision by cutting the spray skirt from my order. My kayak shipped today, looking forward to getting it!

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:10 pm

I have never used a spray skirt with my Expedition. I do use one with my hardshell sea kayak.
A safety practise session with friends where we tipped over on purpose at a sheltered beach showed me the Expedition will still float well full of water and me, so I'm not afraid of getting a little splash now and then.

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:57 pm

Last weekend I portaged down a hill and put the kayak (Expedition) in Lake Ontario against my instincts. The waves were bigger than I've paddled in and I don't have a spray skirt. About 15 minutes in and a wave taller than the boat went right over it and drenched the inside of the kayak (including me). I paddled back to where I started, hung my shirt up to dry and spent over an hour scooping out water, drying under all the inside parts that don't pull out. It was a pain but a learning experience to trust my instincts (and get a spray skirt). :D

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:19 pm

Hurray for your instincts! Sounds like an adventure.
At times, I take my kayak home damp, set it up indoors, and let it evaporate good 'n' dry.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:52 am

drying under all the inside parts that don't pull out
The kayak comes completely apart. All inside parts can be pulled out and dried separately. First Remove the Floor. Then unscrew, with your hand, the two locking nuts that are on the two main valves. You can then pull out the inner portion of the kayak. Once that is pulled out, you can unzip the grey tube cover to pull the tube out. Every component can be individually cleaned and dried.

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:38 pm

JCOOLEY wrote:
drying under all the inside parts that don't pull out
The kayak comes completely apart. All inside parts can be pulled out and dried separately. First Remove the Floor. Then unscrew, with your hand, the two locking nuts that are on the two main valves. You can then pull out the inner portion of the kayak. Once that is pulled out, you can unzip the grey tube cover to pull the tube out. Every component can be individually cleaned and dried.
Thanks for educating me, I had no idea!

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:15 pm

I don't take my Expedition completely apart to dry it. I rub it inside with an old towel, and I take out the inflatable floor. The tubes I leave in their cover inside the hull. They dry fine in there, half-inflated indoors.