Seat for Expedition

Questions, answers and suggestions about other accessories for Advanced Elements Kayaks

Moderator: JCOOLEY

kiltie_celt

Seat for Expedition

Post by kiltie_celt » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:20 am

Does anyone use an accessory seat for extra padding in the Expedition or other AF kayaks? I'm finding that on longer paddles I can't seem to move around enough to keep the pressure off my "sit-bones" and so I get a bad ache in my hindquarters and the back of one thigh. I've seen a couple cushions for use in hardshell kayaks and am wondering if these would work before I drop any funds for one. Does anybody use one or recommend a brand?

Jaygee

Post by Jaygee » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:06 am

I use one of those self-inflating stadium seat pads that you can pick up at most sporting goods stores. It doesn't add a lot of height (which is good) and provides just enough extra cushioning to make the seat a lot more comfortable. It also helps to keep your butt a little drier.

Racer48

Post by Racer48 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:39 pm

my buddy got some of that thick foam padding from REI and carved one to fit his hind quarters. it pretty much kept me comfy when i went out for my first outing

cmregets

Post by cmregets » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:52 pm

I use a standard square flotation cusion under my seat and it is very comfy and dry. It doesn't raise me up much and I prefer sitting up yet have great stability.

KayakJack

Re: Seat for Expedition

Post by KayakJack » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:53 pm

http://www.comforthouse.com/twinseatcus.html

Only $10
kiltie_celt wrote:Does anyone use an accessory seat for extra padding in the Expedition or other AF kayaks? I'm finding that on longer paddles I can't seem to move around enough to keep the pressure off my "sit-bones" and so I get a bad ache in my hindquarters and the back of one thigh. I've seen a couple cushions for use in hardshell kayaks and am wondering if these would work before I drop any funds for one. Does anybody use one or recommend a brand?

Daddy-O

Re: Seat for Expedition

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:02 pm

These are $13.95 now at that website. They are $11.00 at Amazon and $9.95 at Bannertherapy.com.
Daddy-O

John

Post by John » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:01 pm

I bought a Palm River Trek 150l bag to carry my convertible in. This is much more spacious than the supplied bag and can be carried as a rucsack. I fold this up and put it under my seat. This gives added height and is soft and comfortable. It means I have it at the end of a river run to put the Kayak into if I need to get a bus or train etc.