Packlite Spray Skirt - no handle?

Questions, answers and suggestions about other accessories for Advanced Elements Kayaks

Moderator: JCOOLEY

kiltie_celt

Packlite Spray Skirt - no handle?

Post by kiltie_celt » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:09 pm

I just got the Packlite Spray Skirt and I'm surprised to see it has no pull handle on the front. Being relatively new to kayaking I've never actually done a roll or been flipped upside down so I've never needed to actually do a wet exit. However, all the other spray skirts I think I've seen had a pull handle on the front to help disengage the skirt from the coaming. Maybe this is not a problem with the AE kayaks since the coaming is so flexible? I'm assuming if you wanted to exit you would just pull on the edge of the skirt or something?

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Yep, tip over and start thrashing around and that spray skirt's going to come off the coaming, no problem.
If you have never flipped upside down, I seriously recommend that you do so on purpose a couple of times. Go to a shallow, swimming area of a lake with some friends and see just how far you can lean over in your inflatable before it suddenly turns turtle. It can be a lot of fun, falling out and learning how to flip the kayak back over and crawl in. (You can swim, right?) Nothing made me feel so safe in my Dragonfly as climbing in with it full of water and finding that it still floated. Then I learned how to bail and how to use a pump to empty out the water.
Kayaking stores often sponsor a night at swimming pools where you can either take a lesson or just practise in the pool. You may prefer doing wet exits and rolls in a pool instead of a lake or the ocean.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:46 am

As Paula stated, it will defiantely come off the coaming. It is only bungee that is holding around the coaming so it will flex a pull if you were to tip and get out of the cockpit.

Jeremy
8)

paddlesheep

Post by paddlesheep » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:13 am

Mine has a handle?

Not that it needs any help coming off the coaming.