Spray Skirt and PFDs

Questions, answers and suggestions about other accessories for Advanced Elements Kayaks

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Tron

Spray Skirt and PFDs

Post by Tron » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:34 pm

OK, so does the spray skirt go over the PFD or under it? Oh if you can't tell I am a newbbie.

Thanks for your help
Tron

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:50 pm

I am a newby myself, but I have read on here that (all?) sprayskirts are supposed to go under the pfd. Having said that, I have seen (on youtube videos) some people wearing the more expensive AE skirt over their pfd's. I am sure that someone who knows will let us know for sure though. Personally, I think they look kind of "funky" over the pfd.
Daddy-O

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:26 pm

You're not breaking any rules if you wear the spray skirt over your PFD, but it's less good that way.

The theory is that the PFD goes on over everything else. That way, if you should be trapped underwater by the PFD floating you up into an obstruction, you could take off the PFD and be able to swim down and out of the obstruction, instead of being held up into it.

I don't know how likely you are to get trapped -- caught in a sunken tree in a lake, or under a rock shelf in a river, or in the wreck of a boat -- but a few people are caught this way, from what I read in outdoors magazines. That's why river boaters carry a knife: to cut the straps of the PFD if it isn't coming undone. (Note: the knife has a very short blade, with a sharp edge and a blunt tip, and the sheath clips on the outside of the PFD.)
Very few people get caught this way who are not daredevil river paddlers. In fact, many more people drown each year whose empty boats are found with a PFD stuffed behind the seat.
So: my group of paddling friends wears our PFDs every time.