Advanced Elements Kayak Cargo bag

Questions, answers and suggestions about other accessories for Advanced Elements Kayaks

Moderator: JCOOLEY

dbibbens

Advanced Elements Kayak Cargo bag

Post by dbibbens » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:30 pm

I bought the Advanced Elements Kayak Cargo bag and cannot understand how it would be used. No instructions came with it and it seems improbable that water would stay out. I am also curious as to how it would mount on the deck or elsewhere. The bag came with straps -- I was expecting clips to use with the rings on the deck. I must be missing something and will appreciate any pointers.

My kayak is the AdvancedFrame AE1012-R and the bag is question is AE3002.

I use the kayak in the marina (Marina del Rey, CA) and to surf breakers in Santa Monica Bay. I absolutely LOVE this kayak and take it out every couple of days!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:09 pm

The AE3002 Kayak Cargo bag is exactly what it says it is. A Cargo Bag. It does not claim to be a dry bag or anything of the sort. It is used to store gear. If you want your items to stay dry, then you will need to double bag them. The Cargo Bag fits behind the seat inside of the kayak It is rounded on one side of the bag. The rounded side curves with the inside rear of the kayak. If you do not want your bag inside the kayak then the straps can be attached to the D-rings on the rear of the kayak as well as the D-rings on the front of the kayak or stored under the bungee deck lacing.

Jeremy

8)

dbibbens

Post by dbibbens » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:32 pm

Thank you for your answer. I am disappointed, though. The accessories section of the AE website lists the bag under Dry Bags with "deck clips" (http://www.advancedelements.com/accessories.html). I bought this bag at SportsChalet.com where the description indicates both "dry" and "deck straps" (http://www.sportchalet.com/product/inde ... age=search). I will be returning it in favor of a alternative. The price is excessive for something so over-described.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:42 am

With most dry bags, they are never 100% gauranteed dry. When buying another bag, you will need to find one that states it is 100% gauranteed to keep your gear dry. There are always seams and/or folds that water can always find it's way into. I learned a long time ago paddling as a kid that even some of the most durable dry bags don't keep the gear 100% dry. After one of my first long canoe trips I found that I needed to double bag my gear.