Kayak Sail - RapidSail Has Arrived

Questions, answers and suggestions about other accessories for Advanced Elements Kayaks

Moderator: JCOOLEY

dspid2404

Kayak Sail - RapidSail Has Arrived

Post by dspid2404 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:49 pm

The RapidSail is now for sale at www.airkayaks.com. They show a photo of both the AF and AE kayaks. The price is right ($79.00). Its not available until the week of April 18th but its on sale now. Check it out.

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:26 am

It looks more like something made to keep you dry ;-)

I am really curious how it performs in comparison with the PopUp Kayak Sail.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:40 pm

I assume you're talking about the WindPaddle? Not sure. I asked AirKayak if they had tested it yet and they said "no not yet". If I have it in time I will be taking it down to Florida on April 22-26 and will run it through its paces. I was thinking of filming it for Youtube since so many have asked for some videos of it. I'll post it as soon as I get back.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:53 pm

My RapidUp Sail arrived today. Looks good. I like the design. It comes in a nice canvas bag. One bit of warning when you pull the sail out of the bag the first time. It will pop open pretty fast.

The curve design to fit the curved deck I think will help keep the sail under control compared to some of the other designs. We'll see. It seems plenty rugged to handle the job. Lots of see-through sail to keep the view to the maximum. It takes a bit of practice to fold but once you get used to it its a breeze. I practiced four or five times and had it down. It's all in the wrist.

I hope to try it out next weekend in Florida. I will evaluate the sail then and film it or at least take pictures. I am also wanting to try my new underwater camera housing out. Maybe the two can go together some how (director's brain). There are usually plenty of dolphins around.

The only question I have is for Advanced Elements. Keeping in mind I have not attached the sail to the kayak yet, since my pump and some of the other parts were shipped ahead to Florida. When the sail is set up, should the stabilization lanyard strap be fully extended? This seems to give it a good curve, but I wanted to check.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:50 am

The stabilization lanyard strap should be taught. Once the breeze is blowing into the sail it will tighten up. These are also for adjusting to the different kayak models. Some of the models are a bit more narrow in the bow area and those need to be pulled in alittle more so that the sail isn't hanging over the sides of the kayak. Once you get out on the water with it, you can adjust it to your preference. If you want the sail open a bit more then you will want to extend the lanyards. If you want the sail curved more then tighten them up so that they aren't fully extended.

Jeremy

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:22 pm

Makes sense. Hopefully I'll have a film for the forum on Friday night. Till then.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:39 pm

Which Friday? :wink:

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:02 pm

I'm back and have some footage. According to Airkayak.com I was the first to receive the sail. So, I had a chance to get the feel of it and I talked to AE about its use so I made sure I understood everything.

Pearly - I must have been thinking about this coming Friday but I'll try to beat that. Also I used your deck lift fixture for the first time. Worked out really well. I made some modifications to it and may make more for the sail. More on that later.

The sail worked out very well and I got to try it out in pretty high winds with 2 to 2.5 foot waves. Unfortunately it was difficult to film because the wind and the wave direction were slightly off from each other and it was difficult to keep the sail full of wind, film and steer at the same time. But I have some footage I can use. I also will show how to fold the sail in high wind, which was easy. I didn't want to make it an instructional video because I may not be doing every thing correctly. But what I did do worked and that is what you'll see. I'll get the video up as soon as possible. Then in the forum I have some suggestions to go with it. Til then.

spidennis

dspid

Post by spidennis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:16 pm

dspid,
lets see that video! I'm just about to order one of these, but they are just so brand new there's just not any info about this yet.

Nick from windpaddle is down here on south padre island texas for some kiteboarding and he brought along his sails for me to try out, then this morning I find out about this new sail that just became available. I think I like this design better? Had you any experience with the windpaddle and how does it stack up against the Rapid Up?

anyway, get that video up for us to see! I'll treat you to a shiner bock or two, or three .......

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:26 pm

You asked for it and here it is. A bit rough but good enough for now.

NEW LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjWwsqai ... re=related
Last edited by dspid2404 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:33 pm

It demonstrate how it works pretty wel. However, a shot made by someone else would make it easier to see how the performance is. Hard to estimate speed this way, but thanks for making it!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:20 am

Finally! Thanks for putting up the vid. This looks far superior to the wind paddle - I saw one of those in action the other day.

Does the yak feel any less stable with the sail up?
Last edited by Pearly on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:08 am

Being that I was not from the area I had no one I could trust with my camera so getting a shot from land or another kayak was not possible. The two points where I pass the poles is a pretty good demonstration of speed under sail. I also lost some footage that might have been better but the file corrupted. Your speed will also be depnedent on the wind and the size of your kayak. I have an Expedition so it will be slower then say the AirFrame.

As far as stability, I didn't notice any difference even when I was being broadsided by waves with the sail up. It didn't look like it but if I was able to go in the opposite direction the waves were a lot bigger than they appear in the video. Only 1/4 mile further out they were 1.5 to 2 foot waves. However I couldn't hold the camera out there so I had to compromise.

Best I could do with what I had.
Last edited by dspid2404 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:30 am

Let me point out - This is only a demonstration of the sail, not a instructional video. I talked to Ryan, the designer of the sail as I understand it, and tried to understand the operation of sail the best I could before I made the video so I wouldn't waste too much time figuring it out. But, I may have done somethings wrong and I am sure those will be pointed out.

Also, the one complaint I have of the sail is the clips. They are a little difficult to get off the first time but do get easier the more you use them. I also understand that the older Expedition that I have, the tie downs are further up front than the new ones. This may or may not make a difference.

The way I rigged the lines is the way I understand it was to be done as designed. However this forum group needs to come up with a fixture or product that the lines can be tied to that will work a bit easier. I had a deck lift similiar to Pearly's and I am going to work on an adapter that will work for this when I get time. I know there is a rock climbing jig that looks like a three fingered brass knuckle. That might work as well. Jumping the gun here. More of you need the sail first to know what I am talking about. Til then.

borisf

Post by borisf » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:48 am

Thank you for the nice video! I just received a call from local AE dealer - my sail is in store! I cannot wait to Saturday when I'll pick up it! Especially after your video! Judging from the water purling at the board your speed was great! Thanks to AE people supplying us with the new "toy". :-)