Boat Lists

Problems with your kayak? Tracking to one side over the other? Taking on water? Losing Air? Post your questions, suggestions and answers here regarding issues with the kayaks.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

TripleM

Boat Lists

Post by TripleM » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:40 am

Hi, all, I recently purchased an Advanced Frame Expedition, after several years away from paddling (in a small hardshell.) Yesterday was my second trip, and I am really enjoying the kayak.

There is one thing I can't figure out, though -- yesterday, the kayak had a pronounced list to starboard. (I had noticed a very slight list last weekend; but it was so slight, in fact, I wasn't sure that it wasn't just some sort of optical illusion caused perhaps by one of the chambers that holds up the outer fabric skin being slightly underinflated.)

Even last weekend, I had noticed that the boat pulled slightly, which a previous poster had asked a question about.

I don't have a gauge on my pump (have to get one of those!) but I inflate the main chambers until I can barely push the pump handle, and when I look inside the boat (on land) everything seems okay -- the tubes seem to be evenly and fully inflated, with no kinks. Could the floor being crooked be the problem? Again, it seems okay when I look inside, but the kayak came already assembled, and I haven't taken it completley apart.

Thanks!

sedimentary

Post by sedimentary » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:46 pm

I don't know what "list" means, but I have noticed that on my AE convertible one side of the hull almost seams sagging and not pulled taught. This has been since the beginning, and since I have taken the kayak apart several times to dry it out. Putting it back together was done meticulously with everything lined up as it should. One outing in particular the boat pulled right no matter how much we tried to compensate.

paddlesheep

Post by paddlesheep » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:44 pm

The floor might be the problem but I think you're overinflating it if you're pushing the hand pump until it can't go any more. The boat should be tennis ball firm...you should feel some give when pressing into it.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:18 am

The floor being off center or in backwards will cause the kayak to list to one side or the other. Make sure that it is placed in the kayak correctly. I have had a couple of calls in the last weeks regarding this and the people both had placed their floors back into the kayak backwards. The orange twist valve that is on the floor that you use to inflate the floor should be located on the right side of the kayak when sitting in it facing forward. If it is on the left side, then the floor is in backwards and this will cause the kayak to not paddle straight. Make sure that you have it in correctly and that it is centered as well.

Jeremy
8)

TripleM

Post by TripleM » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:29 am

JCOOLEY wrote:The floor being off center or in backwards will cause the kayak to list to one side or the other. Make sure that it is placed in the kayak correctly. I have had a couple of calls in the last weeks regarding this and the people both had placed their floors back into the kayak backwards. The orange twist valve that is on the floor that you use to inflate the floor should be located on the right side of the kayak when sitting in it facing forward. If it is on the left side, then the floor is in backwards and this will cause the kayak to not paddle straight. Make sure that you have it in correctly and that it is centered as well.

Jeremy
8)
Thanks, Jeremy. The kayak arrived with the floor already in place, and it was facing forward, but I wondered about it possibly being off-center. I pulled the floor out last night and saw a slight "foldover" on one edge, so I think that might have been the problem.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:34 am

That'll do it!

srhodes21

same list to right - fold in floor

Post by srhodes21 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:52 pm

I have also had a list to the right - have seen the floor deflated and when laid out of the boat the chamber to to right facing forward does not fold at the seam but folds 2-3 cm above it. As though the floor is all offset to the right hand side.

Is this normal?

If not any suggestions on correcting it?

Any other suggestions for correcting the list?

My Wife is not too comfortable when sitting in the front as any additional "lean" to the right panics her and I want it to be a family affair not a solo run.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:06 pm

?

Not sure what you mean that when it is laid out of the boat it folds 2-3 cm above a certain point. When you put the floor in the kayak is in correctly. The inflation valve should be on top and should be located on the right side. If it is underneath or on the left side then the floor is in wrong. You can send a picture of the fold thing that you mentioned to info@advancedelements.com explaining your situation.

Jeremy