kid in Dragonfly

Stories of (interesting, funny, bad, sad, happy, etc.) things that have happened while paddling. Post your links to your blogs as well.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

PJohanson

kid in Dragonfly

Post by PJohanson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:57 pm

I'm busting with pride to report here that my niece has now gone kayaking with me. At eight years old and 52 pounds, she's a sporty little kid who enjoys gymnastics and hockey. She has great balance and good strength.
We were out at Cadboro Bay for a picnic and beach play. My partner and I put the niece in a kid's PFD that fitted well, and she did great sitting up front of my partner in our hardshell Pamlico 100 kayak with a big coaming. He even took her out to see a moored sailboat some 50 yards offshore, then popped the four-year-old nephew into another PFD and took him out instead.
So I tossed the niece into my Dragonfly solo, and tied the cord I use for a paddle leash to the rear handle. Off she went!
I waded in the shallows holding the leash, she paddled off in all directions, and nobody got too far from shore the first time. The four-year-old tried it but just wasn't big enough and wanted to Do It Alone. (Hide the car keys when he turns ten and can reach the pedals.)
After another try, the niece was paddling the Dragonfly solo from me to her uncle and back. Now that's family loyalty, when a man not only takes his niece and nephew to the beach but stands up to his nads in the 42 F (5 C) ocean water zooming an inflatable boat back and forth.
Guess the niece knows how to take coaching, both at gymnastics class and at the beach. She wanted to go farther, so I got in the Pamlico and we toddled off together to visit the Buddha statue a neighbour keeps by her dock. All along the shore, she paddled with frequent rests, and a seal popping up to inspect us. Success! And we did it again the very next day.

This outing worked with a kid who knows how to swim and also works well with her gymnastics coach. Other kids (like her little brother) wouldn't have this kind of success.

SF48

Re: kid in Dragonfly

Post by SF48 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:58 am

PJohanson wrote: (Hide the car keys when he turns ten and can reach the pedals.)

LOL! Hide 'em now and keem 'em hidden! My son had his first car accident at around two years old...standing on the seat of a friends truck that he was able to pop into nuetral and roll into car in front of him. :shock:

SF48

Post by SF48 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:00 am

Sorry about the silly quote box mixup...could somebody please be so kind as to explain to me how that darn thing works??? I'd appreciate it! I've been a member of various forums for years and still haven't figured it out. :oops:

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:58 pm

SF48 wrote:Sorry about the silly quote box mixup...could somebody please be so kind as to explain to me how that darn thing works??? I'd appreciate it! I've been a member of various forums for years and still haven't figured it out. :oops:
If you are quoting a whole passage or just a section, at the beginning you needs to put: quote="SF48"] and then at the end put [/quote
To start the quote make sure you put the symbol [ and to end the quote make sure you put the symbol ]. If I put them there right now, it would of looked like I was quoting something.
Last edited by JCOOLEY on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Re: kid in Dragonfly

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:00 pm

PJohanson wrote:(Hide the car keys when he turns ten and can reach the pedals.)

For example!

SF48

Post by SF48 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Thanks, I think I'm getting the hang of it. 8)