Kayak Inflation

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Jaybo777

Kayak Inflation

Post by Jaybo777 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:00 pm

I've seen numerous posts relating to inflation of AE kayaks. When I bought my AE expedition I purchased the pump with a gauge on it. Inflation is critical--substandard pressures result in performance problems; high pressures can damage the craft (floor especially).

If you plan to purchase an inflatable kayak, definitely get a pump with a gauge!!! You are kidding yourself otherwise. I even recommend getting the gauged pump if you have an inflatable kayak but currently use a pump w/o one.

Many user's problems are attributed to the kayak design that result from underinflation. It unfairly casts a shadow on the manufacturer when the real problem exists with user ignorance. Perhaps AE should include a pump with a gauge with each kayak sale to nip this problem.

KayakJack

Re: Kayak Inflation

Post by KayakJack » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:50 pm

I second this. Knowing how much you're pumping is crucial to these inflatable kayaks. I also use the AE double-pump w/ gauge.

Jaybo777 wrote:I've seen numerous posts relating to inflation of AE kayaks. When I bought my AE expedition I purchased the pump with a gauge on it. Inflation is critical--substandard pressures result in performance problems; high pressures can damage the craft (floor especially).

If you plan to purchase an inflatable kayak, definitely get a pump with a gauge!!! You are kidding yourself otherwise. I even recommend getting the gauged pump if you have an inflatable kayak but currently use a pump w/o one.

Many user's problems are attributed to the kayak design that result from underinflation. It unfairly casts a shadow on the manufacturer when the real problem exists with user ignorance. Perhaps AE should include a pump with a gauge with each kayak sale to nip this problem.

jcoop77

Post by jcoop77 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:48 pm

OK,
I have already bought the double action pump that came with the AE kayak... is there a separate gauge that can be used concurrently with the AE- supplied pump? Where can I find it?

Thanks John

Jaybo777

Post by Jaybo777 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:41 pm

Not aware of a gauge that can be used concurrently. That's why I bought the pump that included the gauge.

kooman

Kayak inflation

Post by kooman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:49 pm

I live in Houston & could not find a pump with a gauge....had to order out out Austin Tx...It sure takes the guess work out

jasstrom

Sevylor guage?

Post by jasstrom » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:09 pm

I just purchased the ae tandem and bought the sevylor pressure guage hoping that it would work with this. Has anyone tried it?

Jim

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Re: Sevylor guage?

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:30 am

jasstrom wrote:I just purchased the ae tandem and bought the sevylor pressure guage hoping that it would work with this. Has anyone tried it?

Jim
It may. Did you get the pump with gauge, or just the gauge to attach to another pump? If you got the pump t depends on the attachments. Some of the sevylor pumps only have tapered attachments which won't fit into the valve. If this is the case, you may have to cut the largest tapered attachment down so that it will fit into the valve. It needs to be a 3/4" fitting. If you let me know the model of pump, I can tell you if it will work or not. The end of the hose may be able to accept out spring valve adaptor which you can get off of our replacement parts section.

Jeremy
8)

lowrider

Post by lowrider » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:11 am

I found a 0 to 3 pound gauge at Grainger for $20. It is in half pound increments. Has a 1/4 inch pipe fitting. I have a dual action pump from Academy sports. Any good ideas on how to attach it?