light-weight kayak for someone 6'1"?

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

bb-kayak

light-weight kayak for someone 6'1"?

Post by bb-kayak » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Hi -

I'm looking at buying an AE kayak and wanted to get some advice from people who have used them before making the purchase.

I am looking for a kayak to use on relatively flat water ocean, bay, lake, rivers. For the most part I would use it for a two-three hour trips, but would like to have the option to use it for longer day trips or possibly even over night.

Most important considerations (in order of preference) are weight, ease of set-up/take down, cost and flexibility in different conditions.

The reason weight is so important is that I will often carry this kayak by bicycle (in trailer) and sometimes by backpack (short distance).

To me, the obvious choice is the AdvancedFrame. The problem is that I am 185 lbs and 6'1". Therefore it seems like the Expedition is the right choice, except for the additional weight is a big deal. I'm pretty much ruling out the Sport because I want the option of attaching a spray skirt.

I hear differing opinions about someone over 6' tall in the AdvancedFrame. But since weight is factor, I really like the weight savings over the Expedition.

Thoughts on if the AdvancedFrame is a good choice for someone just a hair under 6'1" with size 12 feet? I don't feel like I need my legs out straight, but I don't want my knees rubbing to top of the boat either.

Thanks for your thoughts!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:44 pm

Truthfully from what you describe I would of said the Sport would be the best model but because you want the coaming to attache a sprayskirt, I would look at the following.

1. You can try to locate the 2008 West Marine version of the Advanced Frame. It is the same weight as the Advanced Frame but has a zip off deck that on nice days would decrease the weight.
2. Locate the 2006 version of the Expedition. It was called the Ultralite. Same length, different color, Different lighter polyurethane tube. It weighs 38 lbs.

Otherwise I would say go with the Advanced Frame. I am 6'2" and can paddle it comfortably for hours. It is in the middle ground.

bb-kayak

Post by bb-kayak » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks - I doubt I will find a 2008 or 2006, but good to know someone 6 2" can be comfortable in the AdvancedFrame. At this point I could see far more use for day trips in mellow conditions, so I doubt I would go for the Expedition given the added weight. In fact, I will have to think some more about how important a spray skirt is to me as the Sport would probably be fine for 90% of the paddling I would do now. But I expect I might do some kayaking at times in choppier waters and/or colder places and a spray skirt seems like a good idea for those conditions.