Bottom wet on Straitedge with open ports

AE1006-G(2004-2006), AE1006-Y(2007-Present), AE1014-Y(2007-Present), AE1008-GRN(2005-2007), AE1008-R(2008-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

josue

Bottom wet on Straitedge with open ports

Post by josue » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi. At first with my straitedge kayak i overinflate the floor because my pump had not pressure gauge. With the floor overinflate and ports open on sea, my bottom was dry :roll:. Now i have a pump with pressure gauge, i inflate the floor at 1 PSI, and with ports open on sea my bottom is wet :oops:. Is it normal?, my weight is 65 kg. Also at 1 PSI there is more water inside kayak.

Thanks you very much.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:56 pm

Unfortunately, the floor chambers for the StraitEdge kayaks have the Boston Valves. These valves have a little flap inside that once you stop pumping, it closes. In order to get an accurate PSI reading from your gauge, that flap would have to stay open at all times. So no matter how much you try, you just won't get an accurate reading.
What happened is your floor was of course under inflated. You can pump it up until it is fairly firm. You do not want to try and get it to be rock hard. If you are trying for this, then you will probably end up over inflating it. I am sure that the first time you inflated was right about where it needed to be.
Just a hint as well, if you are trying to get a reading on the two main valves, you won't be able to unless they are open in the deflate position.
If you need further help in this matter, let me know.

Jeremy
8)

josue

Post by josue » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:55 am

I inflate all chamber at normal speed, but when it is enough inflated, i inflate it very slow, and then the pressure gauge work fine (i think). Pressure gauge only works when i am inflating slow (inflating, when i stop not), with chamber at 90% more or less. Is it correct?.

Thanks you.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:47 am

Whether fast or slow, you will get the same result. As long as you are pushing air out of the pump, there is no air coming back into it which gives you the reading. So even when you are pushing slow, you will not get an accurate reading. To get an accurate reading, you need to stop pumping. The pressure that is coming back into the pump is what gives the reading.

Jeremy
8)