Questions about Expedition.

AE1009-R Ultralite(2006)
AE1009-Y Advanced Frame Expedition(2007-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Rubicon

Questions about Expedition.

Post by Rubicon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi, me and my wife are thinking about buying a couple of the AE Expeditions in the next month and I have lots of questions. The questions that pop into my head right now are. First, my wife is 5'11" with a 34" inseam and size 9.5 shoes. Would she have enough room in just 10.5' AdvancedFrame, or would it be much better to get the Expedition? We also have a couple of medium sized dogs (border collie and german shorthair mix) that we would like to take along with us, they weigh around 50-60 lbs. If we unzip the deck cover and used the durafloor would we be able to take along 1 dog in each kayak? Last thing for now, I use 303 Protectant on a lot of my stuff for UV protection, can that be used on the boat so it doesn't start to fade in the sun or do the AE kayaks not have a problem with fading?

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:56 pm

Hey Rubicon;

I don't have an Expedition, although I was considering one not too long ago. I do, however, have an AdvancedFrame, and I can give you some perspectives on that one. I love the AdvanceFrame, and it fits me perfectly. However, I'm only around 5'6". I did have some trouble with my feet under the deck, when I first got the kayak. It was just about the only complaint I had, but now that I've had it for a few years, I don't even notice the foot problem anymore. I guess I got used to keeping my feet in a certain position, and I'm fine with that aspect now. However, the longer your legs are, the farther forward they will be, and, like most kayaks, the farther forward you go, the more the boat narrows, giving less space for feet. Weight is also a factor, although I know that's a taboo subject with a lot of women. I only weigh around 150lbs, so, like I said, the AdvancedFrame fits me perfectly. Anyone approaching 6' and/or around 200lbs, would definitely be better served with an Expedition in my opinion.

I don't have a dog either, but people do bring their dogs in these kayaks. I don't know that I'd want to be unzipping the front deck to do so though. Have you considered the possibility of a two person Lagoon, which has two cockpits. My son uses one on our camping trips, and he puts all his gear in the front cockpit, and paddles from the rear. I was amazed at how well that works out.

As far as the Durafloor goes, all I did was cut a piece of thin indoor/outdoor carpet a little bit bigger than the floor of the kayak, so that I could tuck the edges underneath the side tubes, and it's worked out fantastic for me, and the carpet only cost me six bucks. This would be great protection against dog claws too.

I don't use the 303 spray, but I know that a lot of people here do.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:35 am

Rubicon,

I'm 6'2" 34" inseam and size 14 shoes. I fit fine in the Advanced Frame but I do have to bend my legs a bit. I cannot wear shoes inside but sandals are fine or water slippers. I prefer the Expedition because it give me more room and better speed. If you are taking dogs with you, then you will need the larger kayak.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Fri May 09, 2014 8:13 am

I agree with JCooley that either model will fit your wife and the Expedition is recommended.
Though I'm much littler than your wife, my bigger friends find my Expedition has a bit more foot room for them so they don't always have to point their toes or bend their legs. It's nice once in a while to have straight legs with toes pointing up for a few minutes!
The bigger kayak will also have room for a dog sitting between her knees and feet if the front deck is unzipped -- but it won't be a lot of room and the dog may end up ON her knees. Put a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet or canvas inside the kayak so the dog's claws won't pop the inflatable floor.
All my AE kayaks have been sprayed with 303 protectant and that UV protection seems to help with less sun fading or brittleness. One of my AE kayaks is seven years old and the hull is holding up just fine!