Drop Stitch plus backbone is possible ?

AE2023-AF1, AE2023-AFX, AE2023-AFC, AE2023-DF2.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

ardua97

Drop Stitch plus backbone is possible ?

Post by ardua97 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:49 am

i have a advancedframe convertible
and i have just bought the Drop Stitch

but reading around I saw that the usefulness of the backbone is not only to stiffen kayaking but also to give a V-shaped keel of the same

I wondered if it was possible to combine the Drop Stitch a backbone (selfmade or bought)

perhaps adding some buttonhole in the bottom of the Drop Stitch
and inserting an aluminum pole and maybe divided into 3 sections to engage with each other

I do not have the backbone so i do not know how this V-shape
and anyway I wanted to ask for suggestions on how to make this change

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:11 am

We have not toyed with this configuration but thinking about it, it could possibly work. What would need to be done is a sleeve would need to be glued to the bottom of the Dropstitch. The Backbone (minus the blades on the ends) could then be slid into the sleeve. The ends of the backbone would need to be capped though to cover the rough open ends of it so it does not puncture any material. It is feasable and I think we will need to test it. Of course anyone that goes ahead and does this on their own, voids the warranty of the floor and backbone.

FrankP

Post by FrankP » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Use both the BB and DS together as they normally are set up including the end scoops. The pressure of the side tubes holds the BB in place and the DS keeps everything set up fine. I an going to try 4 psi in the floor next because 6 psi hard.

chuckwade87

Post by chuckwade87 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:52 pm

Has anyone else tried this configuration?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 am

If you look through some of the other threads under Backbones, you will find posts from others who have used the BB+DS configuration even though not recommended by AE

chuckwade87

Post by chuckwade87 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:14 pm

So I tested out using both the backbone and the Drop Stitch floor today.

It totally changes the boat. It feels remarkably faster in the water, handling is about the same.

The only thing that I didnt care for is that it feels alittle more tippy to me. So i will probably try it out a few more times to see of o get used to it or I might just go back to the original floor and backbone combination.