Paddle length with Lagoon 2?

AE5005 UltraLite Pack Paddle, AE2024 Packlight Paddle, AE2015 Touring Paddle, AE2034 Attack Whitewater Paddle, AE2035 Carbon Fiber Paddle, AE2030 Axis 230 Paddle, AE2028 Twilight Travel Paddle, AE2051 Orbit Paddle

Moderator: JCOOLEY

ctts

Paddle length with Lagoon 2?

Post by ctts » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:19 pm

I am preparing to purchase my first kayak, likely the Lagoon 2. I am trying to figure out what paddle length would be good for me to use with it. I found this info on REI's site:

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ ... addle.html

I am 5' 8" and the Lagoon 2 is 34" wide. So for low angle paddling it suggests a paddle length of 250 cm, and for high angle paddling it suggests a length of 220 cm. I would probably do a fair mix of both high and low angle paddling, so not sure what length would be best. I was thinking to get a 230 cm paddle, but do I really need to consider a longer paddle due to the width of the Lagoon 2?

Also, I was thinking to get 200 cm paddles for my kids...but worried that it would be too short for the width of the Lagoon 2?

ctts

Post by ctts » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:58 am

Well I just discovered the separate forum on paddles here. Perhaps the moderator (jcooley?) can move this thread if that would be more appropriate.

I have a feeling that I should be looking at a paddle that is 230-240 cm, based on some of the info there. Since I will be purchasing 4 paddles, maybe I will get two 230s and two 240s. But if anyone has any more specific recommendations for the Lagoon 2, would be appreciated.

I still do not know if 200 cm might be too short, even for my kids. I am not sure of their height (I can measure later if needed), but the ones who will be padding are ages 6 and 8.

For my 4 year old, I might just get him a small canoe type paddle so he can play with it and try to paddle a little.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:07 am

For the Lagoon 2, the proper paddle length will be between 230 and 240 cm. Most of AE's paddles are 230 and work perfectly fine with the kayak.
Anything under 230cm will be too short and not allow for an optimized paddling experience.
My children have been paddling our kayaks since they were 3 yrs. old and always use a 230 cm paddle and experience no issues except for coordination in the beginning.

ctts

Post by ctts » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:33 am

That's great to hear about your kids being able to use the 230 cm paddles. That's fewer paddles I will need to buy then :)

Thanks for your help with all my questions!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:41 am

Another note on this topic.

The reason why 230cm works great is because of the position of the kayak. Our sit in kayaks like the Lagoon 2 sit a little lower in the water compared to Hard Shells and Sit On Top kayaks.

That is why you may see suggestions to go with a 250 cm paddle. That suggestion is for a kayak that sits up higher in the water where you will need that length to reach the waters surface.

Because our kayaks sit lower, the length is unnecessary and can create an awkward paddle as well as extra weight to swing around.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:56 am

The big thing with paddles is to work with the ones you have :)
A shorter paddle will change your stroke. Whitewater paddlers use a shorter paddle than flatwater, but they're steering rather than providing steady locomotion.
If you're paddling with a smaller person who gets tired or grumpy, try giving them a different paddle and seeing how that affects their experience. As a short woman, I notice that paddle length changes the feel. I've got the muscle to handle the torque of a longer paddle in choppy conditions, so on those days a longer paddle = same big strong strokes controlling my boat as my paddlemates. On calm flatwater days, a longer paddle = smaller movements of my arms = often less tiring for a long day.
Any paddler can build endurance which makes paddling less tiring and more fun.
Frankly, I've been told by my paddle partners at various times to use a longer/shorter/ or standard/small shaft paddle and though they mean well, it's kind of funny they don't realize how they're contradicting themselves. After eight years, I have two working solutions. Whichever paddle I'm not using with my sea kayak or AE Expedition gets put on my deck as a spare. With my AE Lagoon, I use the shorter paddle.