Orbit Paddle - FG Shaft Sharp on Hands?

AE5005 UltraLite Pack Paddle, AE2024 Packlight Paddle, AE2015 Touring Paddle, AE2034 Attack Whitewater Paddle, AE2035 Carbon Fiber Paddle, AE2030 Axis 230 Paddle, AE2028 Twilight Travel Paddle, AE2051 Orbit Paddle

Moderator: JCOOLEY

sbillin

Orbit Paddle - FG Shaft Sharp on Hands?

Post by sbillin » Fri May 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Is it normal for the wrapping along a fiberglass paddle shaft to feel sharp on the hands?

I just purchased the Advanced Elements Orbit paddle and the moment I took it from the box simply holding the paddle in my hands felt like I was getting microscopic cuts into my palms due to the fiberglass wrapping of the shaft. The exposed edge of the FG wrap is thin but feels quite sharp nonetheless and borderline painful. I'm worried that an hour or two of paddling with this will result in substantial chafing.

Have others experienced this? I'm not sure whether this is normal for FG paddles, whether I'm just more sensitive to the feel than others, or if I have something wrong with my paddle. I purchased my paddle on Amazon for a little cheaper than I found at other places, so hoping it's not a knock-off pretending to be the real deal. Seems to be a nice paddle otherwise.

-Seth

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Re: Orbit Paddle - FG Shaft Sharp on Hands?

Post by rlpugh1 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:46 pm

Hello,

We've never heard of this before honestly so please contact AE Customer Service at info@advancedelements.com or by phone at 866-262-9076 so that we can better assist you. Thanks!

sbillin

Re: Orbit Paddle - FG Shaft Sharp on Hands?

Post by sbillin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:08 am

I had ended up returning the paddle to Amazon for replacement with another Orbit paddle, as it had some minor damage to the shaft as well. The ridges along the shaft winding of my new paddle do not feel sharp like the first one, and I'm very happy with it. Not sure what went wrong with the first one...
Thank you!
-Seth