index.php?sid=0e2b58c04e022d8725292bf51046df5c AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

zipper lets water through

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Spray Skirts, Dry Bags, Foot Braces, Seats etc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nice Legs!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: zipper lets water through Reply with quote

I have the 2 person advanced convertible frame kayak, and also the matching sprayskirt. During paddling, a "dip" develops under the front zipper of the kayak, and any water that is collected there slowly leaks on the paddlers legs( the 2 decklifts are fully inflated)....anyone????
John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That is a problem. There is I think a discussion about this elsewhere on the forum. The best thing to do is use some McNett zip wax and hope that keeps water out but it will not be completely succesful. I think some clever invention is called for here.
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a slight issue but is usually corrected by pushing up under the deck with your knees. Others have used pieces of faom and other items to help tighten the area up as well. It has been discussed in another area here on the forum. I personally do not have the problem because I do paddle with my knees bent and therefore am usually pushing up on the deck.

Jeremy
Cool
KayakJack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: zipper lets water through Reply with quote

If you don't care about aesthetics, you can always apply a strip of good masking tape (3M Blue 2-3" wide, etc.) and over the zippers after zippering it up. The masking tape will be easy to remove when done and won't leave adhesive residue whereas duct tape and packing tape can - especially after being underneath the sun for some time. (Or you can stick it underneath the zipper to avoid the sun, aesthetic purposes, and to avoid any unsightly adhesive residue - it's also coated on the bottom, making removal of tape easier.)

Nice Legs! wrote:
I have the 2 person advanced convertible frame kayak, and also the matching sprayskirt. During paddling, a "dip" develops under the front zipper of the kayak, and any water that is collected there slowly leaks on the paddlers legs( the 2 decklifts are fully inflated)....anyone????
John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An idea I have had but not yet got round to trying is to cut an old windsurfing sail batten and place each end between the pontoons/large bladders and the small heightening inflation points at front (can't remember what they are called). I thought this may create a more rounded and higher front like hard shell kayaks and so allow the water to run off.

Is this hair-brained?
Tandem2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a laser batten and that has raised the deck at the zip. The batten was the right length and didn't need shortening and the caps on the ends don't abraid the deck material.
yvd1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see people mentioning periodically the problem with the water getting in through zipper.
AE forum moderators provide useful explanation and workarounds ( really appreciated !). I am not sure if I miss something and there a deep reasons for why this cannot be addressed by AE by change in the design.
I am just curios why AE does not provide a systemic solution. I would think something like a flap with a velcro that covers the sipper would be enough.

Is there a forum where customers can suggest improvements? I am new to kayaking , but even after short time being owner of the AE1009 I see areas that seem to me could be improved with simple additions. For example, I think AE would sell many more foot pegs if they made pegs pads fordable and people would not have to remove and install them every time. Again, I could be wrong and missing something .
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yvd1 wrote:
I see people mentioning periodically the problem with the water getting in through zipper.
AE forum moderators provide useful explanation and workarounds ( really appreciated !). I am not sure if I miss something and there a deep reasons for why this cannot be addressed by AE by change in the design.
I am just curios why AE does not provide a systemic solution. I would think something like a flap with a velcro that covers the sipper would be enough.

Is there a forum where customers can suggest improvements? I am new to kayaking , but even after short time being owner of the AE1009 I see areas that seem to me could be improved with simple additions. For example, I think AE would sell many more foot pegs if they made pegs pads fordable and people would not have to remove and install them every time. Again, I could be wrong and missing something .

yvd1

If you notice, most of the posts about zipper issue were from 2009 and before. We have addressed these issues and do not find to have leaks through the zippers very often anymore.

As far as the Foot Pegs go, you AE1009 comes with a foot bar to push your feet against. If you wished to use the AE4003 Djustable foot Pegs instead, you could. They are reasonably priced at $80 but need to be removed each time in order to fold up the kayak. You cannot fold the kayak with them in.

You can always post suggestions in the forum in any one on these threads, or reach out directly to the company. info@advancedelements.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Spray Skirts, Dry Bags, Foot Braces, Seats etc. All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: