index.php?sid=9178b1b680d4550f058e8b623d51c586 AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10.5 - Considering BB to Dropstitch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Backbones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ztbishop

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: 10.5 - Considering BB to Dropstitch Reply with quote

I haven't had my (original) AE Advanced Frame out in years since I've moved to a bigger city. I'm thinking about getting back into it. Back in the day I purchased the backbone (before the dropstitch floor was available). It did make a nice improvement. For the shorter kayak, has anyone moved from this to the Dropstitch? I was thinking it would be nice for getting in / out of the kayak (I assume you can stand in the kayak with it installed). I understand it may be a bit slower and proned to drifting than the BB (tho only marginally so). I'm curious to hear from those who have used both in the 10.5 version.
I should add - since moving to a bigger city, the one option I do have for kayaking is the White River (it's actually very dark brown) within Indianapolis. In the summer the river can be extremely shallow in areas. I tend to drag the hull in spots with the BB installed (tho it doesn't appear to cause any damange, just light scuffs). Would the Dropstitch be more likely to clear these spots? How much 'less boat' actually gets submerged?
I also see some users do the 'non recommended' method of using both upgrades, tho I'd think this might make the shorter 10.5 version a bit 'tilty'.
ztbishop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Room for feet? Reply with quote

Can anyone comment on the drop stitch floor and whether or not that leaves room for your feet if you are 6 feet tall?
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6'2" Size 13 feet and can fit fine with the DS floor.
With DS, less prone to dragging by a couple of inches.
Kayak does sit slightly higher in water because DS floor is more buoyant than the stock floor.
Using the two together stretches the cover and can cause permanent damage.
PJohanson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend who's 6'4 with size 14 feet has only tried the regular floor with Backbone. Rather than paddling straight-legged, he flexes his knees slightly so that his feet aren't pointing straight up and touching the deck.

He doesn't think his size 14 shoes are all that big, but they're big enough that I can fit both of my feet into one of his shoes. Our paddle group jokes that just one of his shoes would make a fine playboat for me to paddle in whitewater!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Backbones All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: