index.php?sid=d8fb7e37c06e0d0dbd726656985cc305 AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fishing set-up (Updated 08th Jan 2011)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Advanced Frame Expedition & Ultralite
View previous topic :: View next topic  
torres77

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Jack you caught there!
Anyways, my friends and I have bought 3 x convertibles. We are finding time to get our life vests before doing the 'opening ceremony' trip. I was just wondering if we can join you guys in one of the trips ahead?
Pearly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! 3 new yakkers in one shot!!

Please read the inflation instructions and check out the section on inflation in this forum.

More than welcome to come along! Next weekend is a big tide tho with over 2 meter rise. Currents will be strong, so need to choose the spot carefully. I'm usually out for just the morning session - start around 6 - 6.30am and finish around midday.

As for this weekend, I felt lousy last week, so didn't go out on Saturday. Stayed in a chilled out!

Went out this morning, back into the mangroves, but only had one fish take the lure and spat it out again!

Last edited by Pearly on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
torres77

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any tips on inflation? I tried setting it up in my HDB flat and took me 20minutes to inflate the beauty (of course with lots of sweat too). Though she looked ok, but I wasn't sure if I did the right thing with the inflation process. I pressed the floor and I could feel the bottom.

I am very impressed with the fishing rod holder which you did. Can you share the measurements? I am very sure that I need one of those!

From your blogs, I can see that you are an extremely early person. Not too sure if my wife can learn from you in that!
Pearly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The convertible does hold more air than the expedition, so it will take a few extra pumps. If you have the electric pump, this will do about 75% of the inflation for you - takes just over 5 minutes!

The measurements are for the expedition, so you would have to change the design for the convertible..

Suntan (Jimmy Tan) made some for his convertible and they seem to be working for him. If you are not going to put the decks on, you can simply fasten some tubes onto a plastic box. You have a lot of room in the convertible, so space is not an issue.
torres77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the measurements, Ian!

Will try that out!
Pearly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trip for Sunday :-

Meet up at Pasir Ris - There is a free car-park at the end of Pasir Ris Road, next to the People's Centre. The car-park closest to the beach is a pay park, so you can drop your gear there and then park at the free one.

Meet up at 06:30.

This will be a bait session, so you might want to buy some live prawns from Pasir Ris pay pond or use dead prawn/kelong sotong.

Please don't be late - it is cooler to set up before sunrise and we need to take advantage of the low tide rising. Depending on the current, we may go over to Ubin for snappers.

My number is 96452454, so please sms me to confirm.

So far there are 5 kayaks out!

If anyone is crazy enough, Saturday will be a 6am start - luring only at Changi.

Monday I have plans for a secret operation!

Cheers,

Ian
torres77

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gosh! your long weekend plans sound awesome and caused my hands darn itchy...

unfortunately, i alreadi have plans and our life vests are not here yet Sad
Luckily, one of my friends has a lobang to borrow some make-shift lifejackets for us. Hence, we are very excited to plan for our 'opening trip'.

btw, anyone bring beer at such trips? Or is there a ground rule that says: " If row, don't drink."
Pearly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! No rule for drinking and rowing! As long as you don't drink and drive back, you'll be OK.
Pearly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changi - 8th August

YAWN!

Morning dear! Sleep well?

I’m sooo hungry this morning – didn’t eat last night and didn’t sleep too well. Had a strange feeling that something was going to happen!

Gonna have to go for a swim and get some breakfast. See you later!

Mmmm, the water’s not too clear this morning. Singapore waters seem to be getting worse these days.

Aha! This looks like a good place for breakfast. They had nice prawn and crab dish last time I was here. I’ll just take a seat here and wait a while.

WOW! Look at the colours on this little baby!! Shiny, shiny, bouncing along without a care in the world……..GOTCHA!!! OUCH!!!! WHAT THE HELL?????

Whoah!! Who’s pulling? OUCH!!! OH NO!!!! HOOKED!!!!

Gotta get down, gotta get…..down!! CAN’T GET DOWN!!!! Oh no, the rocks are getting further away!!! I can’t get into that hole….I’m going….UP!!!!

Huh? What the hell is that thing? Is that what a UFO looks like? Have the aliens got me? It looks like a big grey cigar!

The light is getting brighter! Is this what heaven is like? I don’t like it so far!

That’s it, I give up! I’m done for!

Here comes the light…..OH NO!!!!

IT’S PEARLY!!!!!!

This was a brand new Halco Scorcerer!

It was an early start for me today!

This is as basic as I get..

A nice calm day..

Last edited by Pearly on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was wondering what were you writing about till I saw the pics. Great Catch!
Pearly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pasir Ris & Pulau Ubin - 9th August

There were supposed to be 6 kayak’s out today, but one was down with flu, 3 were otherwise engaged so that left KT Sim and me!

KT was there early and pretty much set up before I arrived. So with a quick pumping and a bit of sweat, I caught up and we were ready to go..

This was KT’s maiden voyage - sorry for the blurred foto!

We decided to go over to Ubin and look for fish there. The water was calm, the ships were well spaced out, so it was an easy crossing.

We first tried a bit of bottom fishing and KT had his first fish on the yak – a catfish!

We then ventured into a couple of the rivers. The water was brown and sandflies were biting!

We got to the end of the river although fish showed on the fish finder, we couldn’t hook up. I was using lures and Berkley Gulp and even in this river, I still had squid/cuttle fish take a few chunks out!

After this, we went back over to the kelongs of Pasir Ris and looked around for the sunken kelongs. Couldn’t find them though and the current kept taking us off toward Punggol. I only managed to hook one tamban – which saved me from being a zero fighter, even though it wasn’t much of a fight!!

Next weekend will have to be more determined to find some good fish.

I had planned to get out today, but woke up to pouring rain! This is the first time I haven’t been able to get out since I started kayak fishing, so I can’t complain too much!

Cheers,

Ian
Pearly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning a trip off Sentosa Island this weekend - most likely Sunday. 6.30am start from Tanjung Beach.

Small (neap) tide so should be ok with the currents.
Pearly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayak Fishing – 15 Aug – Punggol & Ubin

Nice early start with Mathew & I meeting up at Punggol. Both yaks set up and ready for 7am and Mathew’s maiden voyage on the AF10.5.

Today had a thick blanket of haze – still with the pungent smell of the forest fires. We set off for the first spot and got busy with the lures. At around 7:45am, Mathew was fighting a biggie. Full drag to stop it going into the rocks and this fish was a fighter!

Splashes showered his new kayak – “It’s a Mangrove Jack!”, announced Mathew. Wooohoooo!!!

Out with the grips, a lot of splashing around and a jubilant Mathew lifts out a golden beauty!!

What a superb fish for his first catch on the new yak!

We carried on luring, but no more takers. So we decided to head off to a kelong and try to get some Tamban. Unfortunately, neither of us had any Tamban jigs, so I was using a small sabiki rig. Managed to hook up a few Selar and they went into the bait tube, but the Tamban were not to be caught.

After trying in vain for a little while longer, we set off for Pulau Ubin. The sky was getting darker by this time and as we approached Ubin, raindrops started to fall.

By this time, we were really regretting not having any live prawn! The Selar was dropped down by Mathew and I was using Berkley Gulp. No takers on either, so we decided to head back to Punggol. We tried luring again, but no takers at all.

Still, it has been a fruitful trip and another happy yakker!!

Thanks to Mathew for a nice trip out.

Cheers,

Ian
Pearly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[bSentosa – 16 August[/b]

I’ve wanted to fish off Sentosa for a long time – the tides looked ok for this weekend, so the plans were made.

Met up with Sherman from ActiveSports with his AF 10.5, and babymerv5 with his Airis Inflatable Angler.

We quickly set up and were ready for the water by 7am. The sky was clearing and it looked like it was going to be a nice day.

I had planned to head off to the right, but the consensus was that the fishing to the left could be better, so off we went.

Sherman & babymerv5 paddling off.

As soon as we got the bend near Sentosa Cove, we found ourselves paddling hard against the current! At this point is a confluence where two currents meet and create some very turbulent water. I don’t like to paddle in disturbed water like this, so was happier when we got to a sheltered bay for a breather. We decided to paddle on, but soon realized we were spending a lot of energy for very little progress. We had been paddling hard for an hour now, so reluctantly decided maybe this wasn’t such a good idea, turned around and paddled back. At least going back, we could enjoy the sights of the Sisters and Lazarus Islands. There was now big surf with large rollers at the confluence!

Once we had paddled round the corner, the waters calmed and we could start fishing. We travelled from one likely spot to another, luring and baiting, but only small grouper were taking the bait.

Once we had paddled past our launch site, we started fishing again.

Photo by Sherman..

After 5 minutes or so, my rod doubled over with line being pulled off quite a firm drag. FISH ON!!! This was a big fish and fighting hard

......BOINK!! Oh no……fish off!!!

My line had been cut through by the toothy critter! I quickly tied on another hook and dropped down the live prawns again, but no takers this time. We carried on fishing until around midday. It was now roasting hot, but we were entertained by some guys taking photo’s of us! Strange though, this bikini clad girl kept standing in front of them while they were trying to get a good shot!

I still think this is a good place to fish!

Cheers,

Ian
Pearly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this superb video from two friends here in Singapore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTC2SYeV8FM
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Advanced Frame Expedition & Ultralite All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 5 of 23

Jump to: