index.php?sid=83ebb1361e9e388ec3e7e9c88fb4c891 AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leak in my AE Expedition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Repairs, Cleaning & Maintainance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icarl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Leak in my AE Expedition Reply with quote

Hi,

I have leaks along the seam on the main inflation tube where it looks like the material is pulling away. The kayak is less than 2 months old so it is still under warranty. I have always used the AE inflation pump with the pressure gauge and have never filled it above 2 psi. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to send it away for repair. I have included a picture of the hole. Thanks.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The holes are so tiny. A little glue on each one will work and for backup, you can put some Tear-Aid over that. That should keep you on the water for now until you are contacted by customer service in Canada.

Jeremy
icarl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm currently corresponding with the Canadian distributor now. He wants me to take some more pictures.
icarl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to repair it like you said but it didn't work. Problem is holes are along seam. So you can not put a patch over it effectively. As soon as I put air in it the glue failed.
icarl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another picture that shows you what I am dealing with. I don't think it is repairable.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What works really well for small holes like that, especially when they are on the seam, is to put a good dot of glue over it. Let the glue sit over night. After that, put a piece of Tear Aid over it. Tear aid is really easy to work with especially when dealing with hard to work spaces.

jeremy
icarl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did everything that you said except for the Tear-aid. I don't have any yet. I ordered some but it has not yet arrived.
icarl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to repair it again with glue alone. Let it sit for 30h before putting air in it. But it leaked again. So it looks like I will have to wait until the replacement tube comes in.
kozel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I want to thank Advanced Elements for designing and manufacturing such wonderful products. In fact I own three Andvanced Frame kayaks (Convertible, Expedition and Single) and I love them all!

But then I want to point out an issue, which I encountered with my AF Expedition a few weeks ago. Soon after leaving for my paddling trip I noticed that the kayak main tube was leaking. After unzipping the main tube I found exactly similar pinhole along the seam as shown in the picture from "icarl" below:

icarl wrote:
Here is another picture that shows you what I am dealing with. I don't think it is repairable.

I believe that this is a manufacturing defect, because I have never before opened the main tube cover and also because there are no holes or punctures at the cover itself or the bottom vinyl material.

It was easy to repair the pinhole with glue, but a worse thing is that the membrane between the two main chambers was broken at the same time. I think the reason was that the pressure was not distributed equally in the chambers anymore after the other chamber got the leak. Losing the membrane doesn't affect the use of the kayak, but I think that this is a safety issue, since in practice there is now only one main chamber instead of two.

So my question is that is the main tube for AF Expedition available as a spare part and what would the price for it assuming that this issue is not covered by warranty? I have purchased all of my kayaks from AirKayaks a slightly more than a year ago and I'm not sure what's the situation with the warranty.
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

email info@advancedelements.com
kozel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is now handled with Jeremy.

Many thanks again to Advanced Elements for their excellent customer service!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Repairs, Cleaning & Maintainance All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: