index.php?sid=9e4d4c2ca9d2f10d8727b26cf2e79ba6 AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
diemonde

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Lights Reply with quote

In The Netherlands if you want to yak when it's (getting) dark you need to have a light on your kayak. Which makes perfect sense. Now I can add one to a cap but I don't like caps so I would prefer fixing one to the yak itself, preferably two (one at back and one in the front). As you might expect all complete solutions that are for sale are for hard-shells...

There are ones who can be fixed with magnets. That would fix the problem as you could fix them easily, however a basic waterproof light costs $5 and one with magnet (and leds) will cost $45. So $10 or $90....

Anyone already did something like this?
micahgee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just take a light from your Fiets (bicycle for non-dutch speakers) Wink

Kayaking at night is neat at a large low tide on tidal flats. Its cool to see what comes out at night, I've seen Dogfish 1-2 meter long member of Chondrichthyes (the forum wont let me say S-H-A-R-K LOL) just lounging on the sand. Having a headlamp is very useful for this as well. The reflection off the eyes of a S-H-A-R-K and its distinctive shadow is surreal.

out of curiosity why do you want to kayak in the dark?
diemonde

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three reasons:

1. All the waters are pretty crowded in the summer if you go at daytime. Nothing to see if you if you want to see wild animals. So being their very early will fix this.

2. I want to start early in late autumn or spring, which means the first hour(s) will be in the dark.

3. Especially with full moon night yakking should be very beautiful
PJohanson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our paddle group goes out in the evening at least twice a year, returning after sunset in the dark. We like these dark outings! We're in sheltered, secure waters. One thing we've noticed is that it doesn't matter what lights you have on your kayak -- you must assume that you are invisible. Other boaters or people on the shore may or may not be able to see your boat lights or headlamp or flashlight. We figure that it's up to us as the mobile active small boaters to look out for bigger boats underway or at anchor. We have a similar attitude when we're out on our bicycles -- we assume that we are invisible to drivers of cars.
diemonde

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In The Netherlands we have to use a all around light. It is a law. Which isn't strange with all this water and thus all those people using it.

However thanks for the tip. But as I already learned by using a bicycle; I always assume other people do not see me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: