advanced frame railing system

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

AE_Kayak_Fishing

advanced frame railing system

Post by AE_Kayak_Fishing » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:47 am

Hi I was concidering buying the new advanced elements railing system. Does anyone have experience installing one? I assume you have to cut out holes in the lining which worries me.

sonar

Post by sonar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi AE_Kayak_Fishing.

Welcome to this great forum.

I know very little about the subject But someone will be along soon to help you out.
In the meanwhile looking forward to your posts ect.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:05 am

The Accessory Frame kit is a new item and has been thoroughly tested. Depending on which model you have depends on how it will be installed.

It comes as a complete kit with instructions and a template on how to properly install it.

If you are installing onto a StraitEdge model, then the grommets will simply be glued into place on the outer cover using the template.

If you are installing onto an Advanced Frame or Lagoon models, then the template will be put into place and small holes will need to be cut into the outer cover. The grommets will then be placed from the underside and through the hole and glued into place. Once the grommet is glued into place, it is secure and the edges of the holes are also secure and it will be fine.

As I stated, it has been tested and works great if you want to add the Accessory Frame to any of the kayaks (minus the AE1040 AirFusion).

Jeremy

AE_Kayak_Fishing

Post by AE_Kayak_Fishing » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Thanks ...yea I have the regular advanced frame single person. I have an older mmodel...back when you guys released the green version. So there just small holes? Id be concerned about tears comibgvfrom the holes. I have another question do you guys sell the covers? I have the older model and really like the new diamond rip stop patern but my tubes are all fine ...is there somewhere I can purchase the advance frame outer shell cover and if so how much?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Unless you cut way beyond the template, it will be fine. When the grommets are glued into place, the glue seals the loose ends of the hole that you have cut so that it will not run. Once again, we have tested this and it works perfectly. If you ever want the current cover version, please contact info@advancedelements.com and customer service can get you pricing.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:28 pm

I may have been out of the loop for awhile but what is this Accessory Frame Kit you are talking about. Is this something new? I don't see anything new on the website.

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:26 am

dspid2404 wrote:I may have been out of the loop for awhile but what is this Accessory Frame Kit you are talking about. Is this something new? I don't see anything new on the website.
http://www.airkayaks.com/products/Advan ... E2042.html

sonar

Post by sonar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:35 am

Seems a good idea using a frame for many types of fittings.
Is there a cover that will clip / or stick to the top side of the 4 Mounting Grommets.?

I do not see anything.
Seems this could be something that will make an owner think twice about cutting holes in their Kayak.

Some sort of Mounting Grommet cover piece would put users at ease if the hole they cut may be a little bigger than required.

Yes I have read all the manual but for sure somebody will make a mistake then what options do they have to make the whole job look neater.

quote:
As I stated, it has been tested and works great end quote:

No dispute about the above quote. Great idea if it is something you require on your kayak.

But as I have above said one mistake and what.?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:14 pm

Even if you slip a little while cutting the holes, it is easily fixable. First off, if it is a minor slip up where you extend one of the cuts a little too far, the grommet base will cover that. The grommet base is quite a bit larger than the hole in which the grommet head will stick through. The base being glued from the underside of the cover will stop and extended cut from running. Second, if one really messes up and creates a very large cut, it can easily be fixed by gluing material to the underside of the cover which will make it appear as though there is not a cut in the top of the cover unless your extended cut is more of a tear or gauge. Also, when cutting the holes, it comes with a hard plastic plate to place on the underside so as not to cut any of the other materials. As long as one takes their time, they should be able to cut the grommet holes without doing extra damage.

himmelsyna

Post by himmelsyna » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Hmm...if you now took this frame bar and made one 2 inches high and one 1 inch high (or whatever heigths needed), made them fit together with push-pin, placed the push-pin so that it pointed sideways towards the center of the frame, adjusted the width to match the width of the kayak and the length to be a bit shorter than the zipper on the front deck - then you've got the deck lift solution that's been asked for on the forums several times. It need not replace the deck lifts already in the kayak, but would be a nice add-on that would help fight the zipper leak thingy :D

sonar

Post by sonar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:14 pm

himmelsyna wrote:Hmm...if you now took this frame bar and made one 2 inches high and one 1 inch high (or whatever heigths needed), made them fit together with push-pin, placed the push-pin so that it pointed sideways towards the center of the frame, adjusted the width to match the width of the kayak and the length to be a bit shorter than the zipper on the front deck - then you've got the deck lift solution that's been asked for on the forums several times. It need not replace the deck lifts already in the kayak, but would be a nice add-on that would help fight the zipper leak thingy :D

I have seen a few solutions for deck lifters on the forum.

I myself have a simple version but working now on an even simpler idea .
And could be made quite cheaply as well.

himmelsyna

Post by himmelsyna » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:54 am

Right, Sonar, several nice ideas around here - my point is just that AE with this new frame bar is just a few modifications away from having made it themselves. Maybe it's just me being lazy, but I'd buy one right away if they did.

sonar

Post by sonar » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:57 pm

There is a slight problem with fitting a deck lifter.
Only a small one When fitting a deck lifter it is best fitted before inflation of the Kayak.

After inflation the deck lift has risen with the tubes and forms a nice shape.

The pitfall is that there may well be an additional strain on the zip.

The higher you lift the decks the more strain on the zipper.
The higher it all goes the sides then start to pull inwards thus now reducing the internal area of the cockpit.

Image Image