Mountain a safety flag / visual aid pole on kayak?

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

KayakJack

Mountain a safety flag / visual aid pole on kayak?

Post by KayakJack » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:45 pm

All the after-market stuff I've seen requires some kind of drilling/mount or a surface to use a suction cup on.

It would be nice to have a 4ft safety flag sticking up when I'm kayaking in high traffic area in the bay.

Has anyone outfitted one to their kayak and how?

Thanks!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Take a piece of PVC piping (whatever size you desire). Approx. 12 inches long. Cut it in half. Glue a T joint between the two halves. At the ends, cut a slit or two in the pipe. Buy a strap that can fit through the slits or you can drill holes in the ends and get rope to fit through the holes. Tie down the piping to the rear D-rings on the kayak. There are two sets of D-rings on the back. To tie down to the front set, the PVC pipe will need to be longer. The flag can be place in the T joint in the pipe. You probably want to make sure that the piping is a little larger than the stick of the flag.
This is just an idea. You could do whatever variation of this that you desire. Hopefully it sets you in the right direction.

Jeremy
8)

PJohanson

making the safety flag

Post by PJohanson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:16 pm

I like the suggestion for making the pvc tube to mount your flag.
When making the flagpole, this is a good chance to use a broken fishing rod instead of throwing it in the garbage. Put a flag on the end: brightly coloured, and radar reflective.
You may have to use both a triangular red/orange flag and also a wine bag (the inner foil bag from a box of wine). Some boxes of juice have foil bags inside, too-- the ones that have a little plastic/rubber tap.
No kidding, a foil wine bag is a great radar reflector. Plus, it's way lighter than a ball of aluminum foil or a commercially-made radar reflector meant for the mast of a yacht.
Derek Crook wrote in Adventure Kayak magazine, spring 2007, how he fastens a wine bag blown full of air to his deck bungee. In fog he attaches the bag to a six-foot fishing rod. The coast guard could see him on radar 3 km (2 miles) away!
If you ever use a Mylar space blanket, and afterwards want some use for it, you could cut it up to make reflective flags.
I'm putting a Filzer I-BEAM Mouse white LED light on the end of a fishing rod, with my flag. These blinking bike lights are like a turtle headlight, but waterproof. You can read about them at this link, where I just bought some by phoning the 1-800 number. Americans may have to get a Canadian friend to buy them and mail them to you. http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 2958160602
A friend of mine recommends flags for visibility. He and some friends went out in a large and a small Zodiac to rescue a kayaker across the bay. The guy in the small Zodiac went right past the kayak and paddler, 30 feet away, in 1 foot chop just before sunset. The large Zodiac held my friend's head about 5 feet above the surface, high enough to see the kayaker invisible to the smaller rescue boat. My friend says a flag would have increased visibility.

KayakJack

interesting...

Post by KayakJack » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:08 am

Interesting..won't the pole topple over in winds? do you have any diagrams or photos? I am not fully getting the picture.

sorry.

JCOOLEY wrote:Take a piece of PVC piping (whatever size you desire). Approx. 12 inches long. Cut it in half. Glue a T joint between the two halves. At the ends, cut a slit or two in the pipe. Buy a strap that can fit through the slits or you can drill holes in the ends and get rope to fit through the holes. Tie down the piping to the rear D-rings on the kayak. There are two sets of D-rings on the back. To tie down to the front set, the PVC pipe will need to be longer. The flag can be place in the T joint in the pipe. You probably want to make sure that the piping is a little larger than the stick of the flag.
This is just an idea. You could do whatever variation of this that you desire. Hopefully it sets you in the right direction.

Jeremy
8)

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:38 am

Attached are a couple of drawn pics that illustrate what I had in mind.
The top pic is of the joint where the pole will go into. You can make this as tall as you want to so the flag won't slid out. The bottom pic is of the piping that you would attach to the kayak at the D-rings on the back of the kayak. You can do measurments to get an accurate fit. The middle of the unit is where the flag would go. Originally I had mentioned only a straight section of piping that would attach to only two of the D-rings. Think about it a little more, there would still be a possibility of it turning causing the flag to fall down. This drawing illustrates a more secure piece that is attached to both sets of D-rings. The middle point that holds the flag would be secure so it won't fall over. NOt sure if the image will work. If it doesn't, go to the link here to see it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52504998@N ... 5/sizes/o/

KayakJack

thanks!

Post by KayakJack » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:50 pm

with the drawings, it makes a lot of sense now. it was very beneficial to me and I'm sure to a lot of other AE owners as well.

thanks for all the info! :)

JCOOLEY wrote:Attached are a couple of drawn pics that illustrate what I had in mind.
The top pic is of the joint where the pole will go into. You can make this as tall as you want to so the flag won't slid out. The bottom pic is of the piping that you would attach to the kayak at the D-rings on the back of the kayak. You can do measurments to get an accurate fit. The middle of the unit is where the flag would go. Originally I had mentioned only a straight section of piping that would attach to only two of the D-rings. Think about it a little more, there would still be a possibility of it turning causing the flag to fall down. This drawing illustrates a more secure piece that is attached to both sets of D-rings. The middle point that holds the flag would be secure so it won't fall over. NOt sure if the image will work. If it doesn't, go to the link here to see it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52504998@N ... 5/sizes/o/
:lol:

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:03 am

Yes, thank you for this idea. Safety should be foremost on our minds. This is a very good idea.
Daddy-O