Life jacket

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

MDO

Life jacket

Post by MDO » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:50 am

Boat feels so safe, on calm water canal, life jacket is mostly on top of deck.. On rougher or windy days, I wear mmy life jacket -it is veyr warm.

My husband needs to get a life jacket - anyone ever heard of some that are self inflatable? He said that when on crafts in northern Ontario, they have these life jackets that are really really tiny, with a cord to yank on in case of emergency. He wondered if they were appropriate PDF for kayaking

pastorsteve

Post by pastorsteve » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:23 pm

To me anything is better than nothing. What he/we need depends on the waters traveled. For away from shore/deep water or places where you could be stuck in the water for a long time you might want to consider a "sturdier" vest than if you navigate shorelines. Likewise if you are on the water all the time compared to once in-a-while.

The thing to remember about PFD's is that they do little good if they are strapped to the top of the boat. In an emergency - hit by a motor boat, hit a rock, become unconscious.... you are very unlikely to be able to put it on in the water while injured or out cold.

The best flotation device is the one you will wear.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Pastor steve is right -- the best pfd is one you will wear!
My friends and I wear our pfds on every outing, even on hot days.
Kids see us. It's like wearing a bike helmet... doesn't feel great, but it can only help if ya wear it. And we gotta be good examples for kids.
There's a type of pfd that looks like a strap around your waist and a sort of horseshoe-shaped fat strap that goes from your waist around your neck. Pull on a cord and it inflates. The brand name is Mustang. It's expensive but very comfortable to wear until it's inflated. And once inflated, it sure keeps a person floating...
Yes, they're ok for flatwater kayaking, but not for whitewater riverboating.
There's a version that inflates automatically if you hit the water. That's really meant for yachters instead of kayakers.
I recommend going to a canoe & kayak store and trying on several different styles of pfd to see which is most comfortable for you. I have a couple of old pfds we picked up at yard sales we keep for spares for when friends boorow boats.

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:15 am

What is the proper word/abbr. for:

life jacket (PDF?)
swim jacket (a smaller version of a life jacket which helps you swim - mostly worn on hotter days or type 1 water)

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:15 pm

Most use PFD (personal flotation device).

jeremy

lancepearson

life jackets

Post by lancepearson » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm a long time sailor, owned a 35' boat, sailed a 40' boat with crew to Bermuda and back from Virginia.....raced, have a 19' wellcraft inboard/outboard, etc. There are now good inflatable vests that will inflate when they hit the water or you pull a cord or you blow in a tube you uncap that are very comfortable like slightly bigger suspenders. When on ocean passages you not only wear them you clip your harness to the boat as well. They are sort of like big suspenders....West Marine and others have them. I have one for my powerboat but not my kayak.

When I've kayaked I've bought different ones and worn them full time. High cut openings for the arms and I wear them all the time. A kayak, even my stable Expedition, is awfully close to the water and while I'm a good swimmer part of what a life jacket does is keep you up if you are unconscious, like if some boater ran you over with his speedboat.

My view is to buy a solid kayak oriented one and wear it and keep the special ones like the inflatables for those purposes.

Lance P.

Norman86

Post by Norman86 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:33 pm

I agree with pastor steve as well. I always wear my life jacket regardless of the circumstances. I'd rather play safe and feel a bit less comfortable than get into trouble. I don't want another Titanic story here :)

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:15 am

My wife and i both bought the Astral v8 last year and find them light
and because of the ventilated design ,very cool .
The high cut back does`nt touch the seat at all which i would imagine
is the reason why most people remove theirs ,that and heat.
After about five minutes you forget you are wearing a PFD.
Now i`ll stop before it starts sounding like an ad.....