My favorite Accessories for AE AF 10.5 model

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

NAVYVET

My favorite Accessories for AE AF 10.5 model

Post by NAVYVET » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:54 am

I've had my AE AF 10.5 out on the lake for the past 3 months, and here's a list of accessories I highly recommend:
1. Therm-A-Rest Inflatable Camp Seat (from Amazon.com). I've found this friction fits under the AF's removable seat. It raises me up just enough (about an inch) that the back of the cockpit hits my lower back just right to serve as a lumbar seat. Raising me up also makes the paddling easier. The seat does a great job of preventing any water inside the kayak from soaking my seat, and it lets me paddle for up to 6 hours straight without my legs or butt falling asleep. Finally, it collapses and can be stored easily inside the kayak's travel bag. (I also tried standard boat cushions and foam camp seats, but they were harder than the Therm-A-Rest and made my legs fall asleep after 1 or 2 hours of paddling.)
2. AE Anchor (from AirKayaks.com). I installed extra bungess on the rear deck, and I keep the anchor there. Since I don't need most of the rope, the extra is kept in the net bag under the bungees. I anchor it to the front or back bungee rings using a Nite-Ize 9-biner.
3. Manual Inflatable PFD (on-sale from Cabela's). The foam PFD's were just too hot in August in Southern Illinois. I didn't get an automatic inflatable PFD because I didn't want it to inflate from being splashed.
4. Seattle Sports Deluxe Deck Bag (from Amazon.Com). This fit perfectly on the front deck of the AE AF 10.5, and it hold a soft-sided lunch bag, my camera and a small soft-sided fishing tackle bag.
5. AE pumps (from AirKayaks.com). I use the AE Double Action Pump with Gauge to inflate the kayak. The AE foot pump stores nicely behind the seat in case I need to inflate along the way (which hasn't happened yet but might in the cold weather.)
6. Footrest: I just put a towel in a 1-litre dry bag. It friction fits inside the AE AF 10.5 just fine. It's probably not as comfortable as the AE inflatable footrest, but it gives me an extra towel.

One other thing: I've found it's best to tie small straps or cord to anything I store behind the seat. It makes it a lot easier to pull out what you need while underway.
Last edited by NAVYVET on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:33 am

Your first suggestion may be what I have been looking for. Especially for the reason of water not soaking into the seat. I'm glad someone has tried it out so I don't waste too much time and money. I'll order one soon.

Freddy P

seats

Post by Freddy P » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:26 pm

would this fit the convertible seat also?

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:18 pm

NavyVet - I wanted to thank you. I purchased the Therm-A-Rest Inflatable Camp Seat and you were right. It fits nicely in the Expedition (AE) as well and really is more comfortable and helps to keep the seat dry, which is especially nice when the water begins getting colder. It also raises me up to a better height for paddling. Thanks again.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:44 pm

Your idea of a drybag as a footrest is great! I do it too, but instead of just a towel, I put in my dunk bag gear. That's a large facecloth, spare t-shirt & shorts, snack bars, an enameled steel mug, candle & waterproof matches.

NAVYVET

Post by NAVYVET » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:58 am

Honestly, none of these ideas are mine. They came from reading every one of the posts on this forum and online reviews so I hope everyone keeps adding their own reviews and ideas. They really helped me a lot, and I'm glad the ones I've passed on seem to be helpful, too.

MDO

manual inflatable PDF

Post by MDO » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Can you tell me more about this? Would this be something you blow up when needed, and then deflate?

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:48 pm

If you are talking about the Therm-A-Rest Inflatable Camp Seat then check out this webpage on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A8 ... oh_product

I use it under the kayak seat and also as a cushion on my car seat so in my case I never deflate it. But you can. It only takes a few breaths to blow it up. Works great. Even if I just used it for a car cushion its worth the expense.

MDO

Post by MDO » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info - I am gald you did becaue I thought you initally meant the chair-like therma-rest - not the cushion!

But my question was about the PDF... I googled a bit more since, and think that it is inflatbe with a CO2 cartridge - these need replaement? Are they bulky?

NAVYVET

Post by NAVYVET » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:51 pm

The PFD I got was the Cabela's Guardian Series Angler Manual 3500. Basically, it's a bladder that you can inflate quickly with the CO2 cartridge.
You don't blow it up until it's needed. The CO2 cartridge is spent, one per use. If you wanted to blow it up, you can also blow into the intake valve that tucks away in the left chest area.
The CO2 cartridge is the only thing that gets replaced after it's used. It should also be replaced once a year for optimum safety at a cost of $16.99 plus shipping (if bought at Cabela's).
It's not bulky at all. It's basically as light as wearing a lobster bib, except the CO2 cartridge in the front, lower right side. (That's not heavy, but of course it's not as light as the empty bladder.)

Unlike the ones we wore in the Navy, this PFD is very soft and comfortable on my neck. Most importantly to me, it's very comfortable to wear all day, even in the hot, humid Southern Illinois summers.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0043183

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:42 pm

The PFD I have is similar to NAVYVET's but more like the ones we wore in the Air Force. They were made by Mustang Survival. They are available with both manual and automatic charges. The reason I got this type of vest is because of the openess of the vest. I have done quite a lot of white water canoeing on class 3, 4 and 5 levels and have worn the pfd that wraps your body, and that is what you need for that type of boating when you know your going to flip it. It is part of the experience and you learn to expect that. However the inflatables are made for calm or steady waves, not rocky streams, and are so stable in the water that the chances are you will not flip. For that reason I would rather have more air against my body to keep cool. And like Navyvet's it can also be blown up through a tube input so you don't waste your cartridge. It more for emergency purposes. Anyway, here is the site I purchased mine from:

http://www.mauriprosailing.com/Merchant ... USDEMANUAL

raw10128

therma rest seat

Post by raw10128 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:56 pm

will the therma rest seat u discussed also fit in the AE convertibel.

NAVYVET

Post by NAVYVET » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Well, I don't know if the Therma-Rest cushion will fit in an AE Convertible from experience. It does work in the AE AF 10.5, and dspid2404 said it works in the AE Expedition. I'd guess it would work the same in an AE Convertible; since the cushion is flexible, I'd think it would friction fit under the seat of most, if not all, the AE models.

NAVYVET

Post by NAVYVET » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:24 pm

This isn't really an accessory, but I just tried out a new purchase in icy waters: NEOS Trekkers overshoes. They're sort of a combination between an overshoe and gaiters. They're 20 inches tall and cover me to just below my knees, and since they're waterproof, easy to slip on and off and add about 20F degrees of warmth to my feet, I'll be able to use them to launch the kayak in cold water. I broke the quarter-inch ice in a stream to stand in the water for over 20 minutes, and my feet remained warm and dry. I don't really need hip boots or dry pants to launch the kayak, and the NEOS Trekkers means I won't have to wait until late spring to kayak again. In fact, I should be able to launch the kayak, staying dry and warm, in March. They do fit inside the kayak easily, but I have size 7 feet and got the Small size of NEOS. If that were uncomfortable, they're incredibly easy to take off and put back on.