Rain Storm IN My Kayak

Stories of (interesting, funny, bad, sad, happy, etc.) things that have happened while paddling. Post your links to your blogs as well.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

dspid2404

Rain Storm IN My Kayak

Post by dspid2404 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Some of you may know that the east coast of the US has been hammered with rain, mostly from hurricanes and tropical storms that have been passing through on their way northeast. This past weekend gave us a bit of break however. I was at one of my usual spots, Belmont Bay in Virginia, and was out in the middle, about 1/4 mile off shore. The water was a bit higher than normal and it was drizzling a bit here and there. I had the foresight to bring my skirt with me this time just in case. Well to make a long story short, it rained. It went from drizzle to tropical down pour with the span of 1 minute. I have no idea where it came from. It was just on top of me before I knew it. I quickly, with some difficulty, put my skirt on. It had obviously been some time since I had last used it.

As my upper body became soaked to the bone it didn't take much to realize this wasn't going to be a short down pour. The visablity was not much more than 15 or 20 feet at the most. I decided this was not the place to be and decided to take cover inside the kayak. By the way my kayak is an Expedition so there was room enough for my 5'10" frame, sort of. I opened and pulled the skirt up partially and lowered myself into the kayak. Other than the pump I had only the foot bar to deal with. I closed the skirt the best I could and laid inside this small covered air bed I had made for myself. The wind blew but not enough to say I was bouncing around like the Old Man on the Sea. That I'll add when I'm old and gray and the story will turn to be something that happened on the open ocean.

I was a bit wet but rather toasty. In fact after about 15 minutes or so I even contemplated getting some sleep. About quarter an hour later I started to peek outside. At this point the rain had let up and I could see the shore. So, I decide to head in and get dry.

So to end my little story I can honestly say this wasn't your typical kayak trip. The stability of the Expedition proved to once again be valuable as a toasty air bed on the water.

dspid2404
Don

sonar

Post by sonar » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Last edited by sonar on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:11 am

The problem with just heading for the shore is that there is only one landing area. The rest is rock shore line or debris left from the hurricane. I also wasn't positive I was facing the right direction because the visiblity. So I decided the best thing to do, since there was no lightning, was to stay put until I could at least see where I was going. I guess a compass or a GPS would have helped but alas, I had neither.