Another Kayaking Adventure

Stories of (interesting, funny, bad, sad, happy, etc.) things that have happened while paddling. Post your links to your blogs as well.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

NaturalPath

Another Kayaking Adventure

Post by NaturalPath » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:17 am

Here's another, recently completed, kayaking adventure from Northern Ontario.

http://presentlytravelling.wordpress.co ... ploration/

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Sounds like the black fly is a big feature of North Ontario outdoor sports!

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Ohhh yes! Dancing with the black flies is an annual event here in North Ontario, and when that dance is done, the mosquitoes cut in for an extended encore. You dance whether you want to or not.

Unfortunately, I find DEET almost as intolerable as the bugs, and I haven't yet found a natural bug repellant that works. Anybody?

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Rather than DEET, I use an Original Bug Shirt, and pants by the same company. I call it my sanity suit. I have used it in the Arctic and the Everglades and it has made a huge difference. It's a Canadian company that makes them.

How far north in Northern Ontario are you?

Pringles, in Sault Ste. Marie, MI

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi AT;

Actually, I'm not all that far from you. I'm in Elliot Lake, ON.

Ya, I know about the bug suits, but I have two concerns with those. One, if that mesh is pressing against your skin anywhere, that's where they'll bite you. Two, I don't like anything restricting my free movements, and I fear that a complete bug suit would feel restrictive.

I haven't really tried one, but I've seen others wearing them, and I'm not sure that this would be my preference. I'd much rather find some kind of natural bug repellent, even if it means applying it frequently. There are all kinds of recipes that people swear by, but usually I just end up swearing at them.

So here we are, we can send people into space, but we can't scare away a tiny mosquito. Oh well, I guess they don't have mosquitoes in space anyways.

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Elliot Lake IS close. It's a beautiful area.

Not to argue, but the Original Bug Shirt suit that I have is made out of a fabric with some mesh under the arms and down the sides so gravity doesn't make the mesh touch skin, and the fabric is such that the bugs can't bite through it. I have an all mesh version, by a different manufacturer, but it doesn't work nearly as well. That said, I agree, we can put a man on the moon but still have to deal with skeeters. I like the smell of some of the new botanical bug sprays. They may not work for long periods, but they sure smell good!

Pringles

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:09 am

Yep, you are correct AT. I went to the website to read about the bug suits and they use a material that they claim is impenetrable by the bugs. Still, I can't see myself wearing one of those. It might be good for some people, especially for women, since their bodies seem to run at a cooler temperature than men. I, however, would end up as dehydrated as a banana chip in one of those. I have problems keeping cool with nothing on, and the black flies and mosquitoes are just fine with that. So, I dance, and they lead.

Here's the website, for anyone interested; http://www.bugshirt.com/

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:00 am

Thank you for inviting the bugs to the dance, and dancing every dance with them! :-)

And thanks for posting the trip report with all the pretty pictures.

Pringles

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks AT, I'll post trips on here now and again but, for anyone who wants to enjoy all my trips with me, they can find them on my blog at;

http://presentlytravelling.wordpress.com/