Human skeleton found

Stories of (interesting, funny, bad, sad, happy, etc.) things that have happened while paddling. Post your links to your blogs as well.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Daddy-O

Human skeleton found

Post by Daddy-O » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:06 am

I took a trip with two of my children on our two AE Convertibles yesterday. We went out to a small island about 1/2 mile out in hopes of doing some snorkeling. We got out there, but didn't see the usual beautiful sea animals.
I knew there was another island about 1 1/2 miles out from this one, so we decided to go there. I had never stopped at this second coral island, so I didn't know what to expect. I saw a manta ray as I got close, and took this as a good sign. The island is located on the break of a reef that runs up and down our coast.
We explored the small coral island, then decided to get in the water to see what fish we could find. There wasn't much there either, and the water was much dirtier than any I have seen on our coast. I think there is more pollution in that area.
Anyway, while snorkeling, my daughter came upon something in the water, but wasn't sure what it was. It turned out to be the skeletal remains of a person. The head (with two teeth) and spinal column of a person. We couldn't believe it! Anyway, I didn't know what to do about it, so I just left it there. Anyway, I guess you never know what you will find while taking a trip on your AE kayak.
Now I need to decide if I should go back out there with a garbage bag to gather up those remains, or if I should just leave them where they are. There was no flesh on the remains, just a skull with a couple of teeth and the spinal column. Weird.
Daddy-O

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:14 pm

I guess you should inform authorities.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:45 pm

I thought about informing the authorities, but I am pretty sure they won't do anything about it. We're not in Kansas anymore, and things don't operate the same around here. I guess I will go to the authorities with it though. There is a lot of drug traffic that goes in and out of here, low flying planes loaded with drugs that they drop into the sea, etc.

We here gun shots in the streets at night at least on a weekly basis, and sometimes daily. There has been some rioting going on now because the police are enforcing some of the driving laws, and the people breaking those laws are upset to have to pay fines, and have their vehicles taken. They riot for a while, and the police stop enforcing the laws. That's the way it goes here.

Daddy-O

micahgee

Post by micahgee » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Thats some pretty intense stuff =(

Hope the kids weren't too traumatized, that trip sounded fun.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Gee whiz, Daddy-O, that's a grim story. It took me a minute to remember that you're not living in Rhode Island or the like.
There have been body parts found in my own home waters by kayakers and beachcombers, even though we are in a pretty genteel part of the world even in the wilderness. The way we handle it in Canada is first take a photo (in case the current carries the remains out of sight or a bear comes out of the woods). Then phone 911 and tell the police.
It's not a good idea to move body parts.
Good luck finding your even keel again after that!

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:16 pm

Pics or ban. Just kidding.