Planning Eems-Dollard estuary trip

Trips that you have taken, planned, are planning etc. and suggested paddle locations.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

AFspotter

Planning Eems-Dollard estuary trip

Post by AFspotter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:35 am

I am planning trips in the Eems-Dollard estuary between Germany and the Netherlands with the Advanded Frame kayak. Is there more interest in exploring this area?

My background and experience is diverse: sea kayaking in Alaska, in freezing conditions, re-entry, sea sailing, ICC Coastal (navigation etc.), marine communications, first aid.

Jan

sonar

Post by sonar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi AFspotter

Very intresting I can't wait now to see any bloggs and pictures of your next adventures.

Have a great time on your future trips.

AFspotter

Post blog and pictures

Post by AFspotter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi sonar

You're right about posting some stories and pictures. That's what happens when you spend more time planning next trips than looking back.

BTW lovely water in the UK. I did some paddling on the Lake of Menteith with the monastery Inchmahome and looking forward to seeing Loch Lomond again. No to forget the river valleys like the Deben that I visited last May. Stunning views, very different from ours with high dykes that take away all your sense of the surroundings.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:14 am

Hi Jan,

Don't know how long a trip you are planning, but the Ems river is something to look at to. I remembered a fellow blogger/paddler writing about his trip on the Ems:
http://arnesoutdoorblog.blogspot.com/se ... -results=1

Have a nice paddle!

AFspotter

Post by AFspotter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:49 pm

Arne went further south on the Ems. Tidal effects on the Ems end at the Herbrum lock. Beautiful three day trip he made, but I am planning daytrips for now. The villages at the Ems river are lovely, an example is Ditzum. Just Google Ditzum webcam and you can see the harbour and the ferry landing. Living nearby I try to visit them each year by bike. You are right I should definitely take a look at them as well.

There is a round tour on the rivers Leda and Jümme, just south of Leer, that are connected to the Ems. It is a challenging 36 km and requires good timing because of the tide.

My first plan is to start in Termunterzijl and cross the Dollard to Emden and Knock. Small distances to have enough tolerance in the timing.

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:35 am

Hi Jan,

When I visit the area I know who to contact to be my guide :-)

AFspotter

Dollard trip

Post by AFspotter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:48 am

Did my first solo reconnaissance on the water around high tide from Termunterzijl to the Punt van Reide. Flat sea, nice sunny weather and was outside the harbour immediately greeted by a seal.

The area has a 3 m tidal range and the channel to the harbour was filled with eddys on the return. Low hanging orange sun because sunset was just half an hour away. Could still touch the 4 km/h ground speed. At the entrance again a short encounter with the seal. Inspiring start.