Urban Paddling

Trips that you have taken, planned, are planning etc. and suggested paddle locations.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

PJohanson

Urban Paddling

Post by PJohanson » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:57 am

Urban paddling can be a fascinating mix! Sometimes a harbour is an industrial workplace, sometimes a quiet bay is a secluded park -- and they can be closer than 500 metres/yards apart, on the same urban waterway.
My latest outing with my Dragonfly was on the harbour in Victoria, going from our launch at Songhees Point on the Inner Harbour to the Upper Harbour, Selkirk Water and The Gorge, then back.
Part of the charm of urban paddling is that people have often officially named each and every nook and cranny of a waterway, and posted said official names on a map. Tracking these names can tell you about the European settlers in an area -- Victoria was settled by Scotsmen from the Hudson Bay Company -- and the First Nations people as well. At The Gorge, a narrowing of this tidal inlet, there is a reversing falls that was called the Camossung or Camosack by the Songhees people. Spelling words from their Coast Salish language is often creatively done in English, but there are place names derived from Salish names all over the map here.
You can see photos of my Dragonfly with my friends' Delta hardshell kayaks and a trip map at kayakyak.blogspot.com if you scroll down to Sunday, January 18, 2009
Inner Harbour and Up The Gorge