8 mile trip across the bay

Trips that you have taken, planned, are planning etc. and suggested paddle locations.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Daddy-O

8 mile trip across the bay

Post by Daddy-O » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:36 am

I am planning a trip with my 5 children across our bay here in Barahona, Dominican Republic next Monday (Aug. 9). It is a 8 mile paddle one way. We are planning on spending two days and nights on the other side before returning home on Wednesday morning. We will be going in two 10.5's and two convertibles. We will take pictures along the way, and I'll post the results when we get back. Any suggestions on how to make this trip more successful are welcome.
Daddy-O

micahgee

Post by micahgee » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:41 pm

How are you planning on cooking/camping?

Are you bringing a couple of tents?

The 10.5 frame doesn't have much room but the massive convertible is a real hauler. In terms of fresh water, if you have to carry water, I suggest using some kind of bladder like the Platypus water carrier that holds over 6L.

Hope you have fun!

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:56 pm

We are planning on sleeping in hammocks with mosquito netting. We will cook over a small fire pit that we will make. We are planning on distributing the water among the kayaks, but the convertibles will have more than the 10.5's. We will take pre-prepared soup mixes with us, peanut butter and jelly, bread, etc. I am also going to be doing some fishing and hope to be able to catch enough fish for, at least, one meal. We will not depend on that though, and will take along a bit of extra food.

We are looking forward to exploring a new reef (snorkeling), and to doing some hiking. We are hoping to find the area undisturbed by other people. No one lives over there, and we don't see the fishermen going that far to fish. There are no roads or paths going in or out of that area. We should be secluded from other people, and that's the way we like it while camping.

Daddy-O

micahgee

Post by micahgee » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:15 pm

that sounds freaking awesome!

Have fun and remember to catch big fish and take pictures of said big fish :)

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:51 pm

We have a new winner for the Convertible rod holder - here's a great idea from one of the guys on my fishing forum..

Simply brilliant! Good luck on your trip!

Cheers,

Ian

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:08 am

Thanks for those pictures Ian. I love that rod holder, and will rig one (or two) up this week before our trip.
Roger