West Marine was having a closeout

AE1020-Y(2007-Present), AE1001-R(2002-2006), AE1001-O(2007), AE1021-O(2008), AE1031-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

ATPringles

West Marine was having a closeout

Post by ATPringles » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:00 am

I stopped by West Marine the other day and they were having a closeout on their Skedaddles. I've read enough to know that those are AE Dragonflies and Lagoons. My sister got one that was still in the box. I got one that was hanging on the wall. The hull indicates that it was made in 2007, and that it was a Dragonfly. I have a couple of questions that I haven't found by poking around. First, how much does the 2007 version of the Dragonfly/Skedaddle weigh, at least according to the manufacturer specs? Second, the seat is just sort of a floppy thing... I put the bigger part down on the floor of the boat, but I got to thinking later, maybe it is supposed to go the other way so you have a higher back? Third, the seat back (or the bottom?) has a nylon strap with a retention slider... I can't find anything to attach it to. What's it for? Finally, what are the deck lifter things that people write about, and I apparently don't have? Thanks for any information.

I realize I didn't get the latest model, but I think got a good deal. If I didn't, please don't tell me, I'm happy. It was $204. I want a boat that I can put in the trunk of the car or the extended cab of the pickup and get out on the water quickly and easily. Yesterday it took me between five and eight minutes to get on the water. I have a Pakboat Puffin, and it's a nice boat, but it takes me 30 minutes to put together. It's also long enough that some states require that you register them. The Skedaddle (how big of a committee did it take to come up with THAT name?) seems to be short enough that less/no states require registration, so it will be handy for traveling.

I tried it yesterday and had a really nice time, even though it was quite windy. I stayed in a little cove. Without the wind, I won't be afraid to take it out into the main river. It handles much better than I thought it was going to.

Pringles

sonar

Post by sonar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:03 am

Hi ATPringles

Welcome to the forum

The age of any of the makers products are of no importance .
There great value and a great deal of fun as you have already found out..

As for questions I am sure someone will be along very soon that can answer your questions.

Looking forward to some postings and blogs and the pictures.
Have a great time in your new kayak.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:30 am

Weight: 19 lbs.
Seat: Large portion is backrest
Seat: Strap goes through the D-Ring on the back of the cockpit to hold it upright.
Deck Lift: Not an option in these models. Only in the Advanced Frame Line and the Lagoon2.

$204......good price.

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Thank you for the welcome and the information.

Pringles

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:41 pm

I have a similar model of the Dragonfly and can answer some of your questions. You got a good price for a good little kayak! Mine has lasted more than five years.
The seat back has a nylon strap that goes through a loop on the far side of the coaming, where the inflation nozzles cross. Then put the strap back through the buckle.
The idea is to keep the seat with the boat if you flip over. It's not essential to use the seat -- if I'm playing in surf and expect to flip over and fall out a couple of times, I don't use the seat. But on quiet outings, it's nice to be sitting up that little bit from the water that drips off my shoes, eh? The newer seats on the Lagoon attach a little better.
There are no deck lifters in the Dragonfly/Skedaddle model. That's one of the changes in the new version, the Lagoon.
For a Dragonfly, many of us noticed that the front deck might sag a little in the middle. This doesn't affect performance. You might get a little water pooling there to drip in, or the front deck might touch your legs.
There are a couple of ways to deal with the sag:
1.When I take off my sandals and get into the boat barefoot, I stuff one sandal on top of each side tube, between the tube and the outer hull. This holds the front deck a little tighter. I do this most of the time.
or
2.When the boat is inflated, I get in and stuff a short piece of styrofoam pool noodle vertically between my knees, wedged between the inside of the bottom and the front deck. Unfortunately, this idea takes up wiggle room and gives me one more piece of gear to carry around/fiddle with/lose.
or
3.Do nothing. Once in a long while someone says, "Your boat is a little saggy there. Is it losing air?" I thank them for their interest in this fascinating boat, and show them how it has a separate outer hull, not attached to the inner inflation chambers.

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Thank you for the information PJohanson. I guess I hadn't noticed the front deck sagging. I use flip flops when entering and exiting, so I'll try tucking them on top of the side tubes. I have noticed that I have problems figuring out where to put the footwear when I'm paddling, so that sounds like a good place to put 'em that will maybe solve another problem (that I didn't know I had). :-) I've used the boat a few more times since my initial post, and am happy at how quickly I can get the boat out of the bag and on the water. The fall is a windy season here, and I've been a bit shy of going out too far in the wind, lest I have to land and carry the boat back to the put in, but while I worry about that, I've always been able to move. The direction I wanted, with a little work. I'll grow to trust it more, I'm sure. Thanks everybody!

SJack

Post by SJack » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:18 am

JCOOLEY wrote: Deck Lift: Not an option in these models. Only in the Advanced Frame Line and the Lagoon2.
I thought the new lagoon had deck lifts

http://www.advancedelements.com/images/Lagoon1_2011.pdf

Page 10 seems to show them.

I'm thinking of upgrading my Dragonfly. Do they make a difference on a Lagoon?

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:16 am

The new Lagoon does have deck lifts, but the versions that West Marine sells are some older stock more like the earlier version called the Dragonfly.
I'm thinking of upgrading my Dragonfly, too. But it's not worn out yet! Even after nearly six years and a hundred inflations a year, it's still in great shape. Well, the inflatable floor is no longer new. And there are some stains on the outer hull -- a rust stain from leaning the boat against my bicycle in the porch, and a grubby stain from landing at a dock with tar-stained boards that were green with mold.
As nice as it will be to use a Lagoon someday, I'm going to hang on to my Skedaddle(Dragonfly) bought at West Marine. It's so portable!