2006 Dragonfly 2

AE1003-R(2002-2006), AE1003-O(2007), AE1023-O(2008), AE1033-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

NaturalPath

2006 Dragonfly 2

Post by NaturalPath » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:53 pm

My son just purchased a 2006 Dragonfly 2 in mint condition. The main tube on this kayak does not have the fabric cover, it's just the bare PVC. I believe later models have the fabric cover and I'm wondering if this can be purchased from AE, and would it fit a 2006 model?

rsimpson
Site Admin

Re: 2006 Dragonfly 2

Post by rsimpson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:12 pm

NaturalPath wrote:My son just purchased a 2006 Dragonfly 2 in mint condition. The main tube on this kayak does not have the fabric cover, it's just the bare PVC. I believe later models have the fabric cover and I'm wondering if this can be purchased from AE, and would it fit a 2006 model?
The 2006 DF2 has the inflatable floor welded to the main tube. So, unfortunately, it will not be able to use the tube cover from the newer DF/lagoon model. The only models that can use a tube cover are the newer model with the foam floor.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks RS, I didn't realize this, since I haven't actually seen his kayak yet. He did tell me that the inflatable floor was not removable, but I figured it was probably welded to the floor of the kayak, not the main tube. So, I'm assuming that, in the case of a non-repairable puncture in the floor, that would mean a replacement of the entire floor/main tube assembly, right?

Also, from what I understand, the main tube and the floor are separate air chambers. I'm wondering if it would be possible to cut the floor away from the main tube without damaging the integrity of either, in order to then fit the fabric outer cover over the main tube? Sounds a bit risky, but I'm just wondering if it's possible.

It seems to me that there would be a lot of stiffness, lengthwise, to be gained by having the outer fabric cover over the main tube.

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Natural,

You are correct. The main chamber and the floor are seperate chambers. There is about a 1/2" piece of material that divides the floor chamber from
the main chamber. So if you wanted to make the inflatable foor removable you could do that. Obviously, just be very careful, and take your time, when making your cut. I have actually done this before for a few customers who have damaged there inflatable floors, but their main tube was still good. Instead of getting a new main tube, we would just cut the bad floor out and give them a new foam floor. If you do this retrofit, the newer tube cover should work for you too. The only issue you could possibly run into would be the stretching of your older DF2 tube. Since the older DF2 tubes didn't have a tube cover to restrict stretching, some of them get stretched out and may not fit in the tube cover. Or they would almost be limp inside the tube cover, if that makes sense. Also, you would need to trim a hole for the valve opening in the tube cover, since the older DF2 valve location is different than the newer DF/Lagoon valve location. It actually isn't too difficult, just a bit time consuming. Lastly, your son could send it to me to complete the retrofit for free. He would just have to cover the shipping costs and the cost of the tube cover part.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Wow, that is a really generous offer rs. Thank very much for that, even if my son decides not to go ahead with the retrofit.

Tell me something, in your experience with these kayaks, am I correct in assuming that the fabric cover would substantially improve the overall rigidness of the kayak? Isn't that why AE added this cover to most of it's kayaks?

Anyway, I will talk to my son and see what his feeling are on this.

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:42 pm

NaturalPath wrote:Wow, that is a really generous offer rs. Thank very much for that, even if my son decides not to go ahead with the retrofit.

Tell me something, in your experience with these kayaks, am I correct in assuming that the fabric cover would substantially improve the overall rigidness of the kayak? Isn't that why AE added this cover to most of it's kayaks?

Anyway, I will talk to my son and see what his feeling are on this.

Yes, it helps make the kayak more rigid and it protects the tube.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Ok, so my son is now considering doing this retrofit. In the mean time, I've thought of another possible complication that I would like to run past you rs.

I know that, on the Lagoon 2, the main tube is partitioned into two chambers and those two corresponding valves are on the back deck of the kayak. On the 2006 Dragonfly, the one Boston valve for the main tube is inside the kayak and I'm wondering if the zipper for the fabric cover will run right across the position of this valve? It would be hard to make a cutout for that valve if the zipper runs right through it.

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:58 pm

NaturalPath wrote:Ok, so my son is now considering doing this retrofit. In the mean time, I've thought of another possible complication that I would like to run past you rs.

I know that, on the Lagoon 2, the main tube is partitioned into two chambers and those two corresponding valves are on the back deck of the kayak. On the 2006 Dragonfly, the one Boston valve for the main tube is inside the kayak and I'm wondering if the zipper for the fabric cover will run right across the position of this valve? It would be hard to make a cutout for that valve if the zipper runs right through it.
The zipper for the tube cover runs along the top of the tube. This won't be an issue.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Ah, thank you very much rs.

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 am

NaturalPath wrote:Ah, thank you very much rs.
No problem.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Just for anyone who might want to do something similar, my son has now been able to cut the floor away from the main tube and has ordered the main tube cover from AE.

Besides the extra stiffness that the Lagoon 2 main tube cover will add, it also comes with the long deck lifters attached, which were not an original part of the 2006 Dragonfly 2, so that's a bonus too. Looks like this update is going to work out just fine.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:33 pm

I've now been able to have a look at my son's 2006 Dragonfly 2. He did an excellent job of cutting the inflatable floor off the main tube and installing the main tube cover belonging to the Lagoon 2.

I noticed that the upper hull material(orange) is not the same diamond ripstop fabric that's on my 2011 AdvancedFrame, but I kinda like it. What type of fabric is this? It looks like some type of cloth, rather than nylon. Is it waterproof like mine, or would he need to put some kind of spray on it to waterproof it?

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:51 pm

It's the same 600 denier polyester material just without the rip-stop design. It should have a very light laminate coating on the back. I would treat the deck with some waterproofing spray.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks rs, I'll advise him to do so.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:51 pm

I put 404 spray on my Dragonfly and it worked great. Time to do another coat... my Dragonfly will be seven years old this summer. Still working great after lots of use!
The inflatable floor has suffered. I'd like to cut it out, as suggested, and put in the replacement floor. The idea of buying the fabric tube covers sounds good, too, as the main tube is a little stretched.
How much do these replacement parts cost?